Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Learning how to estimate

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM
  • 0 Replies

http://www.homelearningjourney.com/learning-how-to-estimate/

For this week’s math lesson, I wanted to see if my 3.5 year old daughter could grasp the concept of estimating.  I put some elbow macaroni for us to estimate inside a jar to start us off on our journey.

I decided to do a video of her thought process when she and I came up with our estimate of 125 pieces of macaroni in the jar.  She really just wanted to count them.  However, if you watch the video, you can see that she does realize estimating only 1 macaroni piece is too small and 5,000,000 macaroni pieces is too many.  ***NOTE: Click URL at top of post to see video.***

After we had our estimate, we counted them!  As I said in the video, I am horrible at guessing (estimating), so I was not surprised when I found out we were way off after counting 375 macaroni pieces!  She was starting to get bored while I counted them, so I decided to count the pieces by 10 and allowed her to put each pile back into the jar while I counted the next pile of 10.  This made her enjoy the counting a lot more.

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)