Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

just started wetting bed

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:38 AM
  • 6 Replies
My son will be 4 next month and has never wet the bed. The last 2 nights he has woke up with wet underwear, not soaked, just damp. Should I take him into the doctor or see if it continues. Nothing at all has changed. He seems fine during the day and is not having any accidents. I asked him if it hurt to pee and he said yes, but ya never really know if he's just saying it because I brought it up or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AleaKat
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:43 AM
It's normal! My 5 yr old still wets the bed. Dr will tell you
Maybe put him in goodnites
No liquid an hour or more before bed
We put a plastic mattress protector on his bed
Maybe wake him up in the middle if the night to go potty. Do it for at least a month and eventually his internal alarm will wake him and he will go himself.
Put a night light in the bathroom he may be too scared to walk to the potty in the dark.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:49 AM
I wet the bed for years.. My mom did everything to stop it but eventually, I just outgrew it! Try cutting out liquids early.. My step mom used to put training pads on the bed where I slept! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetjpea
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM
He has never wet the bed before, its not normal for him. He has been potty trained for 2 years, the day we started training he stopped going at night and has never wet since then. I understand kids who wet normally, my 2 1/2 year old is day trained but still always has a wet pull up so its normal for her. I just know that when a child suddenly wets the bed it could mean an infection of some sort.

Quoting AleaKat:

Maybe wake him up in the middle if the night to go potty. Do it for at least a month and eventually his internal alarm will wake him and he will go himself.

Put a night light in the bathroom he may be too scared to walk to the potty in the dark.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:58 AM
Or stress of some kind

Quoting sweetjpea:

He has never wet the bed before, its not normal for him. He has been potty trained for 2 years, the day we started training he stopped going at night and has never wet since then. I understand kids who wet normally, my 2 1/2 year old is day trained but still always has a wet pull up so its normal for her. I just know that when a child suddenly wets the bed it could mean an infection of some sort.

Quoting AleaKat:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnGLInterrupted
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:44 AM

This is going to sound strange, but if his pee has a weird odor to it and he's complaining about it hurting then he needs to be checked out.

I can tell (for myself) when a bladder infection is coming just by the way it smells when I'm peeing.  DD (luckily) hasn't had one yet.

I don't know what to tell you about the bed wetting thing.  Limit drinks before bed time and see if that helps.  DD has only had 2 accidents since she's been potty trained and both were outside while she was playing.  She got too distracted to come inside and pee when her body told her to.  LOL

ETA:  He could be wetting the bed if he's got a bladder infection/UTI.  I'm not sure though because I've never experienced that with my daughter.

hwifeandmom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM

If you think it might be an infection, then definitely get it checked out.  Otherwise, give it a few days to see if he goes back to being dry.  Besides infections, sometimes growth spurts or stress (even positive stress, like a vacation or new teacher) can cause temporary regression.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN