Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Have your kids done this or do this?

Posted by   + Show Post
My son rocks hisself to sleep or hits his head on his pillow that he holds to get to sleep. Hes 2 and turning 3 soon. Hes been doing this since he first started sitting up. I have asked the doctor about it and she said its normal and that theres nothing wrong with it or him. Do any of your kids do that or did that?
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Replies (21-30):
MrsMetalMama
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM
My oldest son biological father hits himself when he is mad or upset.
Hopefully he grows out of it. don't want to hurt anyone.

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

My sons didn't and don't do that. is like an anger issue? like he is mad its bed time?
Lol. No I mean he does it aggressively when hes mad or upset. He pretty much does it with everything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Love
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:36 PM
That's an answer I haven't been able to understand. All I fully understand is that I can not have any other blood unless it has the rh- factor, and it is uncompatiable with pregnancy.

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

It usually stems from a cerebral injury during pregnancy or soon after birth. We determined that it was actually my blood that did it to her. 2 hours after she born, seemingly perfectly healthy, my doctor came in and said he was surprised I was able to carry her full term and that I didn't miscarry or have a stillborn. I was supposed to get a shot since I have the rh- blood factor but it wasn't noticed until after delivery. She wasn't diagnosed until 2010 (born in 05) up until then her pedi thought she was piegoned toed.

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

Thank you. You can barely notice she does. If you don't pay attention to her left foot when she walks, then you'd never know. It turns in very slightly and she has Dystonia which draws her left arm up and in every once in awhile.

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

I honestly think it's soothing. When I was pregnant with DD1 I always rocked myself to sleep cuz she was so active in the womb so I would rock until she stopped kicking and I could go to sleep. Did u do anything like that?

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

Dd2 and Ds don't do this. Dd1 has since she was a couple months old, Idk if it ties into it or not but the biggest difference between my 3 is, Dd1 has cerebral palsy. She rocks and hits her head against the wall or whatever she can. I constantly wake up to a banging noise and it's always her
He does that sort of. I mean he rocks sitting in the floor against the wall or dresser or if hes sitting on a bed he bounces. I don't know if its just a soothing thing he likes doing or if its something tied into it. Sometimes I get woke up by him rocking and thats bc he tries to get back to sleep.
Now that I think about it I guess I did rock. lol. Idk I guess I did it without thinking. I used to always rock myself to sleep when I couldn't sleep. So I gess he got that from me. lol. (: Maybe I'm just over thinking. I just don't want anything to be wrong I guess. I'm sure you hear this a lot but I'm sorry your child has cerable palsy.
You're welcome. I guess it isn't that big of a deal then. I knew I guy thats a teacher, I had never had him but he has it and its very noticable. There was also a comedian that has it as well. How does it happen if you don't mind me asking.
Wow! Whats the rh blood factor?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:36 PM

No but I shake my leg to fall asleep most nights.

MrsMetalMama
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Me to drives hubby nuts lol

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

No but I shake my leg to fall asleep most nights.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sumannie
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Quoting Basherte:

Mine started doing that a lot. I talked to his doctor about it, and other things mine was doing and we got early intervention to look at him to see what was going on. It's always good to get a second opinion. My son was diagnosed with autism spectrum. Not saying your child is in the spectrum, I"m not a doctor. But if he is on the spectrum the early the detection the better the odds for your child that your child will be able to learn to cope with those things that cause him to hit his head with a pillow. Does he like rough housing? Does he like being flipped a lot more than you think other kids your child's age does? There are a lot of questions. Please don't let this post from me scare you. I would just want a second opinion. Especially, since you think there might be something wrong or something not quite normal there. It's always best to know than to sit around and wonder.

He does like horse around and play rough some but he just always seemed normal. We did the early intervention thing bc he was behind the girls on stuff but he slowly caught up with them. Its like he takes a little longer to learn things and they said that he was fine. What was your child(ren) like before they got diagnosed?
BlessedBeX3
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM

is he teething bc usually kids that are teething hit their heads on things to distract themselves from the pain. as for the rocking that may just be him soothing himself :]

sumannie
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Quoting Pink_Love:

That's an answer I haven't been able to understand. All I fully understand is that I can not have any other blood unless it has the rh- factor, and it is uncompatiable with pregnancy.

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

It usually stems from a cerebral injury during pregnancy or soon after birth. We determined that it was actually my blood that did it to her. 2 hours after she born, seemingly perfectly healthy, my doctor came in and said he was surprised I was able to carry her full term and that I didn't miscarry or have a stillborn. I was supposed to get a shot since I have the rh- blood factor but it wasn't noticed until after delivery. She wasn't diagnosed until 2010 (born in 05) up until then her pedi thought she was piegoned toed.

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

Thank you. You can barely notice she does. If you don't pay attention to her left foot when she walks, then you'd never know. It turns in very slightly and she has Dystonia which draws her left arm up and in every once in awhile.

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

I honestly think it's soothing. When I was pregnant with DD1 I always rocked myself to sleep cuz she was so active in the womb so I would rock until she stopped kicking and I could go to sleep. Did u do anything like that?

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

Dd2 and Ds don't do this. Dd1 has since she was a couple months old, Idk if it ties into it or not but the biggest difference between my 3 is, Dd1 has cerebral palsy. She rocks and hits her head against the wall or whatever she can. I constantly wake up to a banging noise and it's always her
He does that sort of. I mean he rocks sitting in the floor against the wall or dresser or if hes sitting on a bed he bounces. I don't know if its just a soothing thing he likes doing or if its something tied into it. Sometimes I get woke up by him rocking and thats bc he tries to get back to sleep.
Now that I think about it I guess I did rock. lol. Idk I guess I did it without thinking. I used to always rock myself to sleep when I couldn't sleep. So I gess he got that from me. lol. (: Maybe I'm just over thinking. I just don't want anything to be wrong I guess. I'm sure you hear this a lot but I'm sorry your child has cerable palsy.
You're welcome. I guess it isn't that big of a deal then. I knew I guy thats a teacher, I had never had him but he has it and its very noticable. There was also a comedian that has it as well. How does it happen if you don't mind me asking.
Wow! Whats the rh blood factor?
Seems kind of scary especially not really knowing that much about it you know.
sumannie
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Quoting BlessedBeX3:

is he teething bc usually kids that are teething hit their heads on things to distract themselves from the pain. as for the rocking that may just be him soothing himself :]

No hes not teething. He has all of his teeth now. He does it with everything and the doctor says more than likely its just a soothing thing. Hes been doing it since he learned to sit up. I just feel like maybe hes doing it too much.
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Well, my son was "normal" until he was about a year old. He was talking and walking and playing, and using utensils. Then around a year old. All of that stopped. He stopped talking. He had said quite a few words before, and it all just stopped. He stopped using utensils, he started running to me or fussing to be picked up and then would try to get me to move away from people when they wanted to get in his space. Or be too close to him. 

If early intervention has said he's fine, then maybe it is just a phase. Consistency. Especially if he is just a little behind, and does catch up. Maybe it's just his way of calming himself down enough to get to sleep. It doesn't sound like he's hurting himself. 

Did you ever rock him to sleep when he was younger? I rocked my son all the time. The motion of the rocking could simulate being in the womb. And it might just be that he recognizes that motion and it helps him to feel safe, and sleepy. It might just be easier for him to go to sleep that way as well.

Like I said before, I didn't want to scare you. I'm not a doctor. Although if you are concerned about it bring it up with his doctor. If it doesn't feel or seem like he's hurting himself though and he doesn't get upset, then I probably wouldn't worry about it, unless you see other symptoms. 

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Basherte:

Mine started doing that a lot. I talked to his doctor about it, and other things mine was doing and we got early intervention to look at him to see what was going on. It's always good to get a second opinion. My son was diagnosed with autism spectrum. Not saying your child is in the spectrum, I"m not a doctor. But if he is on the spectrum the early the detection the better the odds for your child that your child will be able to learn to cope with those things that cause him to hit his head with a pillow. Does he like rough housing? Does he like being flipped a lot more than you think other kids your child's age does? There are a lot of questions. Please don't let this post from me scare you. I would just want a second opinion. Especially, since you think there might be something wrong or something not quite normal there. It's always best to know than to sit around and wonder.

He does like horse around and play rough some but he just always seemed normal. We did the early intervention thing bc he was behind the girls on stuff but he slowly caught up with them. Its like he takes a little longer to learn things and they said that he was fine. What was your child(ren) like before they got diagnosed?

angelyuna20
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM

My DD(2) has started bouncing herself to sleep recently. she sits and bed and bounces until she falls over and is asleep. Other than that she just plays with her knot blankets (she likes to twirl the strings and rub them on her face)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)