Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have your kids done this or do this?

Posted by   + Show Post
My son rocks hisself to sleep or hits his head on his pillow that he holds to get to sleep. Hes 2 and turning 3 soon. Hes been doing this since he first started sitting up. I have asked the doctor about it and she said its normal and that theres nothing wrong with it or him. Do any of your kids do that or did that?
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
AnGLInterrupted
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

My daughter has never done this.  She usually climbs into bed with about 14 thousand books and reads to herself until she passes out.

(I'm exaggerating a little on the 14 thousand part.  Just a little though.)

sumannie
by Samantha on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Quoting Basherte:

Well, my son was "normal" until he was about a year old. He was talking and walking and playing, and using utensils. Then around a year old. All of that stopped. He stopped talking. He had said quite a few words before, and it all just stopped. He stopped using utensils, he started running to me or fussing to be picked up and then would try to get me to move away from people when they wanted to get in his space. Or be too close to him. 

If early intervention has said he's fine, then maybe it is just a phase. Consistency. Especially if he is just a little behind, and does catch up. Maybe it's just his way of calming himself down enough to get to sleep. It doesn't sound like he's hurting himself. 

Did you ever rock him to sleep when he was younger? I rocked my son all the time. The motion of the rocking could simulate being in the womb. And it might just be that he recognizes that motion and it helps him to feel safe, and sleepy. It might just be easier for him to go to sleep that way as well.

Like I said before, I didn't want to scare you. I'm not a doctor. Although if you are concerned about it bring it up with his doctor. If it doesn't feel or seem like he's hurting himself though and he doesn't get upset, then I probably wouldn't worry about it, unless you see other symptoms. 

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Basherte:

Mine started doing that a lot. I talked to his doctor about it, and other things mine was doing and we got early intervention to look at him to see what was going on. It's always good to get a second opinion. My son was diagnosed with autism spectrum. Not saying your child is in the spectrum, I"m not a doctor. But if he is on the spectrum the early the detection the better the odds for your child that your child will be able to learn to cope with those things that cause him to hit his head with a pillow. Does he like rough housing? Does he like being flipped a lot more than you think other kids your child's age does? There are a lot of questions. Please don't let this post from me scare you. I would just want a second opinion. Especially, since you think there might be something wrong or something not quite normal there. It's always best to know than to sit around and wonder.

He does like horse around and play rough some but he just always seemed normal. We did the early intervention thing bc he was behind the girls on stuff but he slowly caught up with them. Its like he takes a little longer to learn things and they said that he was fine. What was your child(ren) like before they got diagnosed?

Very little do I remember rocking him bc then he realized he could rock hisself. But the next time he goes to the doctor I'll definitely ask her. Thanks for trying to help and giving me different thoughts of what it could be. (:
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I hope that it's just a stage or a way for your little one to calm enough to fall asleep. 

The best mom is the one that is willing to do anything for her child no matter what inconvience it could cause her and her life. You are one of the best.

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Basherte:

Well, my son was "normal" until he was about a year old. He was talking and walking and playing, and using utensils. Then around a year old. All of that stopped. He stopped talking. He had said quite a few words before, and it all just stopped. He stopped using utensils, he started running to me or fussing to be picked up and then would try to get me to move away from people when they wanted to get in his space. Or be too close to him. 

If early intervention has said he's fine, then maybe it is just a phase. Consistency. Especially if he is just a little behind, and does catch up. Maybe it's just his way of calming himself down enough to get to sleep. It doesn't sound like he's hurting himself. 

Did you ever rock him to sleep when he was younger? I rocked my son all the time. The motion of the rocking could simulate being in the womb. And it might just be that he recognizes that motion and it helps him to feel safe, and sleepy. It might just be easier for him to go to sleep that way as well.

Like I said before, I didn't want to scare you. I'm not a doctor. Although if you are concerned about it bring it up with his doctor. If it doesn't feel or seem like he's hurting himself though and he doesn't get upset, then I probably wouldn't worry about it, unless you see other symptoms. 

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Basherte:

Mine started doing that a lot. I talked to his doctor about it, and other things mine was doing and we got early intervention to look at him to see what was going on. It's always good to get a second opinion. My son was diagnosed with autism spectrum. Not saying your child is in the spectrum, I"m not a doctor. But if he is on the spectrum the early the detection the better the odds for your child that your child will be able to learn to cope with those things that cause him to hit his head with a pillow. Does he like rough housing? Does he like being flipped a lot more than you think other kids your child's age does? There are a lot of questions. Please don't let this post from me scare you. I would just want a second opinion. Especially, since you think there might be something wrong or something not quite normal there. It's always best to know than to sit around and wonder.

He does like horse around and play rough some but he just always seemed normal. We did the early intervention thing bc he was behind the girls on stuff but he slowly caught up with them. Its like he takes a little longer to learn things and they said that he was fine. What was your child(ren) like before they got diagnosed?

Very little do I remember rocking him bc then he realized he could rock hisself. But the next time he goes to the doctor I'll definitely ask her. Thanks for trying to help and giving me different thoughts of what it could be. (:

sumannie
by Samantha on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Quoting angelyuna20:

My DD(2) has started bouncing herself to sleep recently. she sits and bed and bounces until she falls over and is asleep. Other than that she just plays with her knot blankets (she likes to twirl the strings and rub them on her face)

Awwww! My 3 year old dd for about 2 years now takes fuzz off her stuffed animals she sleeps with and puts it in her mouth and plays and eats it to get to sleep. Idk why she does that. She also picks at scabes she has that I try to heal. I guess thats her soothing thing. I try to get her stop, but shes stubborn. lol.
sumannie
by Samantha on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Quoting Basherte:

I hope that it's just a stage or a way for your little one to calm enough to fall asleep. 

The best mom is the one that is willing to do anything for her child no matter what inconvience it could cause her and her life. You are one of the best.

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Basherte:

I hope its just a phase too but in case something is wrong, I'll be ready to do something about it! Awww! Thank you! That was sweet. You have to be one of the best too! You are very strong willed! I'm not sure how strong I would be but I would definitely try one dsy at a time. How did you feel when you found out, if you don't mind me asking? My littlest dd shes 2 almost 3, she had an extra toe when she was born. It freaked me out a little bc no one noticed it on the ultrasound. I had twins. But it didn't have a bone in it is why so they took a stitch and tied it off and now theres a scar there thats permanent but we don't really think about it.
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

To be honest, neither me or his father were surprised by the diagnosis. I was the one that noticed that he wasn't speaking anymore, and that he was, what seemed to be, scared of new people. He required different things that I'd heard other kids his age requiring. And it just didn't feel right. So, while it wasn't a surprise, it was still devestating to hear it said out loud. It kinda has a way of killing a lot of dreams when you hear something like that. Until you get over the shock and realize that your child is special because they are your child, and not because of being autistic. He's a very good little boy, who is also loving, sweet, kind, intelligent. He understands a lot of what we say to or around him, Around him when he's listening that is. He just didn't speak back to us. He did what we asked him to do, though. Which told me that there was nothing wrong with his hearing, and it told us that he understood what we were saying. He communicates now all the time. He just doesn't speak words yet. 

It was heart breaking. We kind of already knew that he was autistic, but hearing that word spoken hurts. It's hard enough to get along in this world as it is being NT. Let alone being different in a way that you didn't choose to be. NT means Neurologically Typical.

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Basherte:

I hope its just a phase too but in case something is wrong, I'll be ready to do something about it! Awww! Thank you! That was sweet. You have to be one of the best too! You are very strong willed! I'm not sure how strong I would be but I would definitely try one dsy at a time. How did you feel when you found out, if you don't mind me asking? My littlest dd shes 2 almost 3, she had an extra toe when she was born. It freaked me out a little bc no one noticed it on the ultrasound. I had twins. But it didn't have a bone in it is why so they took a stitch and tied it off and now theres a scar there thats permanent but we don't really think about it.

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM

No, never heard of this , but it sounds like he is just soothing himself. I guess it's not much different than shaking your leg to go to sleep.

signingmama2915
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM

no, neither of my boys did.

hotdonnax
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM
My mother rocked me to sleep every night until after I was three, and true enough my fiance complains that I shake the bad at night because I rock myself. So I dont think it is abnormal by any means.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM

No

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)