Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Toddler Troubles

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have a son who just recently turned three last month. He loves to back talk, taunt, and well just down right be dismissive of all others. He is highly vindictive, and well he is three. Earlier today he decided to get into the sick while I was waking up my fiancé for work and well everything was soaked I was in the room for not even 8 mins top. The cat liter, couch and love seat (he actually peed on the love seat, and he has been potty trained well over 4 months since an accident), entertainment center, our dvr box (4th one destroyed now), and well everything almost every inch of carpet throughout, plus bathroom and kitchen, and bath. I dont know what to do with him. His father and I split up and divorced when he was one years old and now he has a 6 week old little brother. He has not gotten jealous of him and he normally communicates very well with me, but here lately he is still giving me reasons for his actions, but it seems to do with him being mad at me. Any suggestions on taming my little hellion?
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sweetone44_2004
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Oh wow. Honestly I would beat my kids ass. Not trying to start an argument over spanking or anything along those lines, but that's just how I do it with my dd. I Aldo explain to her what she did wrong and make her say it BACK to me to make sure she knows why she is in trouble. Sorry but I have no advice, but a bump might help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hotdonnax
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:33 PM
I have spanked him, taken toys away, taken his cartoons away, taken away his bike, smart tablet, everything that I can think of. But thank you.
C.S.K.L
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:04 AM

could it be for attention? if youve been consistent with other forms of discipline, maybe try a different technique maybe ignore him all together while you pick up the mess, see if the lack of response to him will discourage him from wanting to anymore

hotdonnax
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM
I have tried it in the past but might as well give it another shot. I have actually thought about taking him to a counselor just so he could possibly talk with them and explain how he feels. I know it sounds crazy but for a 3 year old he can most definitely speak his mind.
Gyspy51
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Have you tried making him sit in his own urine? Sounds gross I know but sometimes that works. I know you have keep at things in order for it to work, like taking things away as you have done. Or sitting him in a corner for doing something wrong/time out. Hitting a child only shows violence, although it is tough at times I know. There are times I'm sure you want to stick a sock in his mouth hog tie him, & hide him in closet ;) He could be jealous of the baby & does not understand that. Good luck & god bless you & yours.
Gypsy 51
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM
it might be good for him to talk to an outside party. maybe a teacher or his doctor. you are right to be concerned and he is clearly trying to tell you about his feelings by acting out. i agree with ignoring the behavior but try to help him too. best of luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

for his age, taking toys away isn't really an effective punishment.  he doesn't make any connection between the 2 things.  taking favorite toys away only started working for my son when he was close to 5.  at 3 he forgets about whatever has been lost and just focuses on whatever toys are left until you give him back whatever you took.  i would only take something away if it's a direct part of whatever he's in trouble for (i.e. if he throws a toy, you take it).

the situation you described most definitely sounds like he's trying to tell you something.  remember that negative attention is still attention.  do the 2 of you spend much one-on-one time together out of the house doing special mommy/son stuff?  is his father involved consistently?  it may not be a terrible idea to speak to a third party IF you think his behavior is going above and beyond typical 3 year old crap.  good luck!!

mariesmama
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Quoting hotdonnax:

I have tried it in the past but might as well give it another shot. I have actually thought about taking him to a counselor just so he could possibly talk with them and explain how he feels. I know it sounds crazy but for a 3 year old he can most definitely speak his mind.

your very lucky my 3 yr old justlearned in june how to tell me what she wants speech delays suck

Cmdale87
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Oh my a mother going through exactly what i went through. My son did and still does the same things..he is almost 4. There really is nothing you can do, except what you're doing. They want as much attention they can got and don't care if its negative attention it still major you stop what your doing to be with them. Hang in there mom, you have a very long and stressful road ahead. <3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)