Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

No...no...no...no..no..no...no

Posted by   + Show Post
If I hear 'NO' one more time....... What do you do to curb the 'no' thing? My DS is 2.5 & it's getting ridiculous. He's got major attitude when he says it. My oldest didn't go through this so I'm not sure how to handle it. I've tried ignoring it, he just gets louder & more 'bully-ish' about it. Any suggestions?
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mipsy
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah ok, lol! And I won't say that, we do that already. Gets his attention and he knocks off whatever crap he's doing

Quoting corrinacs:

Yes, like flicking. Think of flicking a crumb off the table.....that motion LOL.  And if anyone says its abuse, he hurts himself more just walking up the stairs LOL

Quoting Mipsy:

What do you mean plucking? Like flicking? If you wanna pm me instead, I understand :)

Quoting corrinacs:

I go to plucking.  Its my slight form of corporeal punishment LOL.  I hate having to do it, but if the wniing and the "no" talking back gets bad enough....and taking away things and ignoring him doesn't work.....then I pluck his cheek when he says it.  Gets the point across real fast.  It doesn't hurt a like, but for some reason he HATES it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Sorry, I have no advice.  My 2 1/2 year old is doing the same thing. Must be the age.  You said you had a older one...me too. My Daughter is 5 and I don't remember her doing this. The little ones must pick it up from the older ones. Great! Good Luck

starry_dreamer
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Kids are trouble today! Lol my little guy is a walking attitude. Hes been visiting the corner quite a bit today. He hasn't quite started the "no" yet. Hes 1.5. His talking back is telling us to ssshhhhh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM

have you tried to not use the word no with him?

ash522
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Quoting .Angelica.:

have you tried to not use the word no with him?

Yes- we only use 'no' for serious things. We usually use stop.
SevenKisses
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I don't know. I think I have dodged this fairly well since DS will at least listen after the first few times of me asking him something.

sjoshea
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

My 3 y/o DS is exactly the same way...I do see light at the end of the tunnel, though.  Personally, I just ignore it.  Example, we were sitting at the dinner table and DS wasn't eating, so in btw my bites, I would fork some food into his mouth.  He would chew for a minute and yell, "no, mommy!". A few mins later, I did it again...response was the same, "no mommy!".  He finished his entire meal this way.   I think it is their way of taking control, even if they don't know what to do when they get it.

Also, maybe refrain from asking yes/no questions or offering yes/no options and present the task as either "this or that".  That way you both win, you get to do what you want/need to do and he feels he has a say.

sophiesmom07
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

Either ignore it completely; don't give any attention to the little outbursts..

Or..  you be consistant with punishment for backtalking you.

Basically those are your two option for ANY problems (like this) with young kids LOL.

I agree. I sarted with option 1 and ended with option 2, lol.

carsonsmommytam
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM
I told him it hurt my feelings when he spoke to me rudely like that, and he stopped. He's 3 now and will say it occasionally and if he's rude about it I say 'excuse me', and he changes his tone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I tell my 3.5 year old she can say no all she wants but I'm not going to give her what she wants.  Usually I'll have already explained why I am telling her to do something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN