Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Mommy's potty trained, not child...

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM
  • 7 Replies

I need advice. I have reached out to family and friends for any and all ideas and NOTHING is working.

There is usually two types of potty training stories. The "Oh I put underwear on my kid and that was it" (the story most of my friends have)! or the "Potty training was the wost thing ever!!" (the story I haven't reached yet) 

Long story short, potty training my first son has been exhausting. He is now 4 years old. After a long hard battle we have reached a point where I feel like I am the one that is potty trained, not him. He can wear underwear all day, he can even go days at a time with no accidents. However if I forget to take him to the bath room, he will ALWAYS have an accident. This hasn't been a huge problem until he now because he is in preschool. He will not tell his teacher when he has to go. 

He has no problem telling me when he has to go number 2, it is only a problem with peeing. I have had him at the doctor's office and his doctor told me I am doing "too good" of a job with taking him on a schedual so he doesn't have to think for himself. Every time I stop taking him on routine (even if I warn him I am not going to remind him when to go) he ALWAYS has accidents, every time. He refuses to tell me he has to pee, or even that he peed his pants. He just continues on without notice. 

I am at my wits end with this and I really don't know what to do. We have tried bribing him with rewards to get him to tell us, or punishments for when he doesn't. Neither seem to motivate him.

Has anyone ever experienced this?? What worked and what didn't??? I just don't know what to do anymore!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kailu1835
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you done the pantless thing?  My son would pee every time if he was wearing anything on his bottom, because the pee would mostly get soaked by the undies or pants or whatnot.  But when he was naked, the pee dribbled down his leg, and he HATED it.  So he started going in the potty.

baby7810
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

i'm just starting with my dd and i let her go pantless and she goes by herself but if she has anything on her butt she will just use that. so it may not be help but thats my plan of attack and she has slowly started to tell me (its happened 1-3x)

sheenaloraine
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I have thought about doing that. My son is overly modest (I guess he inherited from me because I was when I was a kid too) I didn't know it was an actual technique though. I live with my sister who has a 5 yr old daughter (my niece) is the only reason I haven't tried that yet. With thought that might actually work I might have to try to figure out a way around that.

mamamedic69
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM
My DD HATED rubber underpants and I would put those on her and it worked.

I gave her a potty watch that reminded her to go potty and it helped with not needing me to tell her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Get him to notice!  Offer him treats if he goes potty (#1) and tells you about it :) :).  And in a way, I think the doctor is right.....you are too good LOL.

Hang in there, it will happen :)

Jennyanne322
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Have you tried the potty watch? It will go off and remind him to go potty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM

First of all, don't punish.  Negativity will only shake him, not motivate him (I say this having been down this road with my first but over a different issue.  this was a lesson i learned in the school of hard knocks).  Potty training is not always success only but it should always be positive.  With that said, at 4 he is ready to take control of this.  I would sit him down and explain that he needs to start paying more attention to what's going on and from now on things are going to change.  From now on, IF he has an accident then HE is completely in charge of cleaning it up and changing himself.  IF he makes it in time he gets ___________ as a reward.  Then I would back off and let him take control of it.  You may need to stay close to home for a few days (long weekend or whatever) but I would step back a little.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN