Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

So frustrated & feeling like I'm failing :-(

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM
  • 2 Replies

I know the Terrible Two's are called that for a reason. But right now I'm feeling so frustrated with my son and don't know where to go as far as discipline.

Parker is 2 1/2 yrs old. Overall he is VERY well behaved. Already knows to say 'please' & 'thank you'. Socializes with other kids really good - doesn't take toys from them, waits his turn, etc. And, I'm super proud to share this, he is fully daytime potty trained!! Yay! :-)

Now, onto the not so great. Lately he has been more aggressive than usual. Today whenever I took something from him that he wasn't supposed to have or told him no to something he would cry of course, the normal little tantrum. But then he would shove or hit his 13 mos old sister. One time he shoved her hard from behind and she fell forward and hit her head on the wall. I was livid!!

I admit I swatted his behind & then put him in a time out. When I returned I explained why he was in time out & that it is NEVER ok to hurt your sister. He was smiling a little. I told him to say sorry, which he did. But I got the distinct feeling he just didn't take any of it seriously.

WTH do I with situations like this?

busy mom

Proud mommy to Parker & Kayla!! 

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Well remember that he's 2 1/2 so his empathy is still in the making.  He has limited impulse control and next to no ability to predict the conseqences for his behavior.  I understand you swatted him out of shock and frustration but I don't recommend it.  Keep your cool and just put him in timeout calmly.  All you can do is just continue the conversation about why we don't shove people, show him that he hurt his sister as soon as it happens and then put him in timeout.  Get him making the connection between his behavior and her tears or if there is a physical mark left by whatever he did.  

Also, I'm not sure how you took the items away but if you just snatched them away then maybe try explaining to him why he can't have a particular item and ask him to hand it over.

You aren't failing.  You are human and certain stages in all of our kids' lives test us and our parenting skills.  You aren't the first to feel this way and won't be the last.  We just do the best we can.  Hang in there.

sophiesmom07
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I think you did fine. He needs to understand that hitting / pushing is NOT o.k. Just  be consistent . There must be a consequence every time he does it. My son did that a few times and quickly got the picture that it was not going to be tolerated. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)