Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Housework and parenting-finding a good balance

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM
  • 11 Replies

I've always been a clean freak. Probably a little too much. Since having kids I've relaxed a bit, but still have to clean on a daily basis. I'm always needing to wipe counters, mop the floors and vacuum. But sometimes it feels like I should worry less about the mess and more about spending time with the boys. It's hard to find balance. Sometimes I get so anxious about the constant clutter, stinky smells and stains on the floor. I may have unrealistic expectations.

What do you absolutely clean and what do you let slide?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vampiregirl100
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM
I clean as I go, but I usually clean alot once the kids go to bed or take there naps
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy29x3
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM
I am the same way .....always cleaning, I feel guilty sometimes as well :(
hriabywx4
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM
When you figure it out let me know! :( my oldest is 13 and I still have not got it down! Lol it is a daily balancing act and you have to see what each day brings and be flexible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I clean throughout the day.  Sometimes I let things slide, but I try to get to it at night once they've gone to bed.

ramblinmama
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Thanks ladies. Right now I'm thinking about how I need to get around to dusting my blinds and organzing our closets. Ack. Maybe in 2015?

pmsforlife
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM
I clean, raise 3 kids at home, and I have to study anatomy and physiology. It's tough and I feel like a bad mom cuz I'm always to busy for my kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I hardly clean!  I tidy up and do dishes, etc. as I go but, otherwise, my house definitely looks like a 5 and 3 year old live here.  It's not dirty, just messy.  It just doesn't bother me.  It's low on my priority list and I do use that time for the kids.  Then, their nap time is my rest time.  My hubby would like the house a little neater so a few years ago I bought him a cleaning service for Valentines Day.  Once a month they come in for an hour and do the nitty gritty.   Now that the kids are in school 3 mornings a week (well, my son is 5 days a week but 3 days, they are both gone) I can get more done during the day since they aren't here.  When they get home, my attention is on them.  We also make picking up the playroom a game.  We did this yesterday.  We are all together but still cleaning up and laughing at the same time :)

Gweneveer
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Ugh, me too. If I let too much slide, I'm screwed tomorrow, kwim?

Quoting mommy29x3:

I am the same way .....always cleaning, I feel guilty sometimes as well :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I clean daily, but also make sure to spend time with the kids. They also like to help some with the cleaning which is nice

conejoazul
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I think the ability to get to that balance depends in part on your child ... our son at 27 months still doesn´t enjoy many activities alone even for 5 or 10 minutes while in sight of us and our decision to family bed also has resulted that he is not too great to take a nap on his own (not that he really naps much anyway).

We prioritize fun time over housekeeping time, but that is a choice each family has to make for themselves.  And it is definitely true our house won´t pass the white glove test for a few more years.  But, we do incorporate DS in housekeeping activities ... he enjoys to play "sweep" with his own broom, he has a spray water bottle (filled only with water) and a sponge that he can use when he comes to the bathroom with Mom or Dad for cleaning ... we turn "put away" tasks into a sport (either a tossing game or a see-how-much-you-can-carry-strong-little-man, etc) and to the extent possible we do A LOT outdoors, which helps the indoor messes happen a little slower.

We absolutely focus on keeping laundry and dishes caught up every day and before going to bed at night.  Mopping, laundry folding, and re-organizing are on less of a schedule at this stage in our family´s life.

I don´t regret it. If I were to die in an accident on my way home from playing in the park with my son ... I´d rather him remember me/ envision me as the mom who tried to make his childhood fun, rather than picture me with a dustrag or a broom in my hand all the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)