Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

HELLLLPPPPP!!!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM
  • 6 Replies

MY darling 3 almost 4 yr old keeps whinning and throwing a fit when she doesnt get what she wants...i try to IGNORE it and let her cool off but she just screams LOUDER...or goes out in the hall at our apartment and tells the other lady on my floor that shes sad and i dont feed her or shes hungry or something...doesnt help when that girl is the "SNITCH" of the shelter I'm in at the moment...so anything my daughter tells her shes gonna run and tell staff!!

Any ideas on how to get her to STOP throwing a fit or whinning to get what she wants? Its tough cuz im a single mom and i just want her to be happy as happy as I can make her....

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MooreMom523
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Does she have a room of her own? Tell her she can throw a fit but it has to be in her room and nowhere else.

michellej428
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM

This. Or just put her in time out. And tell her that making things up is lying, and that is not okay. Also, why is she able to get out into the hall of your apartment building. I would be careful with that!

Quoting MooreMom523:

Does she have a room of her own? Tell her she can throw a fit but it has to be in her room and nowhere else.

PEEK05
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't let your daughter go out into the hall.  Tell her to go into her room until she's ready to come out and apologize for behaving that way.  Don't underestimate her because of her age.  My daughter is 3.5 years old and that's exactly what I do.  It works for us so it's worth a shot.

MamaDee2Bee
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Thanks for everyones advice it'll hopefully help! She knows how to unlock the door to the apartment..its a womens shelter so shes safe and all just dont like her going out there telln that other lady stuff!! She shares a room with her baby brother and the other day I put her in her room and she tore it apart!! Finally she calmed down and fell asleep....tomorrow is a new day and i will start doing the time out thing.. it WAS working for awhile when i was actually consistant with it!!

RobynS
by Robyn on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Stay strong! Be firm and consistent and NEVER give in when she acts that way, or she will learn that tantrums work!

MamaDee2Bee
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM

yesterday was a really bad day...somehow she "helped" her little brother get out of his crib while we were ALL taking a nap(yes i STILL take naps cuz im ALWAYS TIRED!!) Anyway, she was wandering around the building up the 3rd flr where my friend lives and then outside on the porch. Apparently2girls that live there were pounding on my door but i never heard them b/c my room is in the BACK of the apartment...anyway a staff member had to come in and wake me up! I was SO embarrassed and just kinda waited till she was gone to TALK to my daughter a/b leaving the apartment and how dangerous it was and how we could possibly be kicked out! She can unlock the door and i have to find out from the director if i can get a lock installed higher on the door...but she was supposed to send someone in to fix my leaking kitchen sink back in JULY and still HASNT so asking her to get a lock and install it will proably take another few mos!! :( So i guess the next time I can get to walmart(thats the only store around) ill buy the lock and put it up myself!! OR just stop taking naps and be a cranky mommy...:(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)