Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

not mad.....just asking.

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM
  • 12 Replies
Today was my dd first kindergarten awards ceremony. She did not get an award and I am fine that. Completely agree with you win some you lose some approach. There are 7 kinder classes with approx 22 kids per class. Each class has theory own awards and kinder as whole has awards. One little girl recieved 5 awards plus the excellence award for best overall kindergartener. You would think out of 150 kids and only approx 25 awards there had to be another child that was polite or good at recognizing letters or whatever these other awards were. Just not sure I agree with one child recieving all the awards.

I promise I am not mad, it just made me think. I live in a very small town and things are very political around here. Now I am wondering who her parents are and stuff like that. Guess I will see what happens at the end of the second 6 weeks awards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.gumdrop.
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Once in middle school I walke away with over 20 awards no lie..

Just wonder what happens to that kid in HS lol

If she was the best, she was the best... Why give it to another kid who wast as polite just to pass around the awards
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizzys_mommy13
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I'd be wondering too. Maybe she just REALLY stood out to them all, but you would think they would divvy it up a little differently.

myhandsomelove
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Umm so wat are you asking?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyBearsMom608
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM
I think they should have spread out the awards too ! Kids often do get hand picked :( Im sure she is a great kid too but Im with you, there had to be other kids that where good too !!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gbcmom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Guess I should have said just thinking....there is not really a question there, huh?

Quoting myhandsomelove:

Umm so wat are you asking?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sammi20
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Wow I would think they should each only get 1 award.. 2 at most but 5? and other kids just Not getting 1 that seems pretty mean to me...

nerdymom28
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

With the kids being that young I think they should have spread out the awards at least a little bit.

corrinacs
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Wow.  Awards at the end of each grading period?  What?!?!  That has me wondering what the heck LOL.  When I was a kid it was an awards ceremony at the end of the year LOL.

But yeah, I agree with you.  Something seems a hint off with that.

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I agree, they should have split up the awards a little bit more.

My kids were in a small private school where there were those few extra special kids who got to do everything. They always won all the awards, were always the ones chosen to do special extras like the spelling bees and math olympics. They were always the ones who had their pictures in the newsletter. It was quite obvious that they were the "favorites." And I don't think it was fair. I'm not even suggesting that MY kids should have had some of those experiences but I do think that there were plenty of other smarkt kids in the class that could have shared some of those special projects, not just the few kids who were ALWAYS being selected.

The only scenario that I can think of where I *guess* it would be fair to give that little girl so many awards is if each award was given by a different teacher. So, lets say each teacher (music, pe, kinder, etc) was told to give away a certain award to one child out of all the kids in that grade....and then by coincidence, they all happened to pick same kid.

miss_AP
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I don't agree necessarily with the above that they should only get one or two each....no problems there I don't see. But yes, it is a thinker. Teachers are actually given things to do in order to be sure they aren't noticing the same kids all the time....like pick boy girl or whatever. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)