Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do you punish for throwing fits?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM
  • 40 Replies
My almost 17 month old ds does not like to be told no, like all toddlers. Lately he likes to hit his head on something when he's mad. I let him do it and laugh (I know, I'm mean. I've been a mom for 17 years.) My husband swats him on the butt- it doesn't hurt him, just let's him know to stop. I don't get mad about that at all, just wondering what everyone else does in that situation.
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crochetmom07
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I just ignore them when they throw fits. My almost three year old used to hit his head on things and I would just laugh at him. Eventually he learned that he wouldn't get any sympathy if he hurt himself doing it. He doesn't do it anymore though. Now he just screams and cries. When he starts I tell him to go to his room and he stops rather quickly. My almost two year old throws himself on the floor and cries and screams until he's told to go to his room, but as soon as I give him the option of either stopping or going to his room he stops.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this

No, they don't get punished for throwing a fit.  They have a right to express their emotions and that's all they are doing.  They will get punished, however, if the fit turns into throwing things, hitting, etc.  For a run of the mill fit, I ignore them until they calm down and then I ask them what's going on.

MommieCotter42
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM

We have our kids sit for a while and think about what ever the issue is. My oldest will get up after a few minutes and say sorry for what ever she did. I think we all need a cool down period.

Marimaru
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM

At that age I would just put Isabelle in her pack n' play so she couldn't hurt herself and let her have it out.  She could come out after she'd been calm for a few minutes.

Tyler0102
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM
When my daughter is throwing a fit I usually ignore her til shes done then talk to her about it. If shes hitting or throwing things I put her in time out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I make my DS go to his tantrum bean bag. He throws his fit and rejoins us when he's done.

laughnchica
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM
We have our 3 year old to sit in her room until she calms down to stop whining or screaming or anything. It cuts her fits pretty short because there is no one in her room to watch her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
careyphotoo
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM
We tell dd who is 30months to go in her room until she can come out and act right and usually she comes out not even 5mins later and she's fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Depends on the severity of the fit. And the age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Not for a 17 month old. Its developmentally appropriate for them to throw fits. I see my role as someone who should help them deal with their emotions.  Not force them via punishement to stop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)