Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do you punish for throwing fits?

Posted by   + Show Post
My almost 17 month old ds does not like to be told no, like all toddlers. Lately he likes to hit his head on something when he's mad. I let him do it and laugh (I know, I'm mean. I've been a mom for 17 years.) My husband swats him on the butt- it doesn't hurt him, just let's him know to stop. I don't get mad about that at all, just wondering what everyone else does in that situation.
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM
I'm about to but not my toddler. LOL.

Every time DD throws a fit DS8 has to run to her side. I've told him and even her doctor told him to ignore her when she's throwing a fit. LOL So, now I can't go anywhere or do anything with her because she throws major fits all the time.

With my older child- they learn quick that throwing a fit gets no attention from me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Not at that age no but my DD who is 3 1/2 would not be allowed to carry on like that.  I also wouldn't swat for a fit.  I have been a mom almost 28 years

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

My older son is a head banger.  At that age he had a permanent bruise on his forhead.  I always allowed him to do it.  The peditrician said to let him do it, just make sure he isn't doing it too much on really hard surfaces (like the ceramic tile floors.)  It's their way of dealing with things since they can't yet communicate frustration.  By taking away the head banging, you are taking away their only way to express the frustration---so don't take it away.  Just make sure he is safe when doing it.

My son did get better with it as he has gotten older.  Once he started talking he did is drastically less.  He is 4 and will still do it---but typically only 1-2 bangs before he hurts himself enough to stop.

Katt709
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM
I ignore tantrums unless its a loud one. Then I make him go to his room or time out spot and I tell him I'm not going to listen to him and when he's done he can come out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Snapdragon88
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:59 PM
A lot of people say to just ignore tantrums. I couldn't ever do it. I always picked him up and made him sit in his chair in his room. He'd calm down after a few minutes and then he was allowed to get down and try being nice again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Now that my son is olders, when he starts his fits, I give him a warning to stop.  When he doesn't listen, I put him into his room until he is done.  Then he can come back and join us again. 

mammabear413
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM

my 18 month old throws fits i never laugh then he will do it again thinkg its funny, i let him throw it for a little pick him up  and try to come him down , he understands everything so i just talk to him give him other options , 

xMamaBearx
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM
No they do it for attention so don't give them any.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM
We put him in time out and it gives him time to calm down. We also started calming jars, its colored water filled with glitter and you shake it and they have to stay there watching the glitter settle. by the time it settles they're calm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.gumdrop.
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM
No I ignore it ... Unless it escalates into hitting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)