Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do you punish for throwing fits?

Posted by   + Show Post
My almost 17 month old ds does not like to be told no, like all toddlers. Lately he likes to hit his head on something when he's mad. I let him do it and laugh (I know, I'm mean. I've been a mom for 17 years.) My husband swats him on the butt- it doesn't hurt him, just let's him know to stop. I don't get mad about that at all, just wondering what everyone else does in that situation.
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Replies (21-30):
AHmom103
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I put them in timeout until the fit is over if they don't stop by the time I count to 3. My girls are both good at turning it on and off whenever they feel like it, so this is the best deterrent I've found.

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I swat his butt or put him in the crib.  

crheinheimer
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM
I should have added that tho he's 17 months he's very advanced. He understands exactly what we're saying and is verbal enough that I can (kind of) reason with him. Yesterday he went to throw one and caught the corner of a drawer and made his head bleed. I think that's why my DH swats his butt. That and we have a nephew that is horrible- he's never punished and to be in public with him is a nightmare! We're both determined not to have a child like that! Thanks for all the input!
Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM
"Swat" him to "let him know to stop"?

I have to be honest - I in no way get that philosophy.

Thankfully my kids were not big meltdown throwers. We would typically take that time to have them use calming tactics to get self control, but there were some times we removed them (put them in their room" until they could calm down. Tbh, I only remember really doing that with ds2. He would walk out a few minutes later much calmer.

rwblake2011
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:51 AM
we tell sd to go to her room till shes done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnGLInterrupted
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

For the most part it gets ignored.  I ask her to go to her room until she's done with her tantrum..  then she can come talk to me.  I let her know that she has the right to be upset, mad..  whatever.  But certain behaviors and actions aren't okay (like throwing, hitting, name calling, pinching, biting.. etc.)

calvinsmommy18
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

ignore them, or send them to time out, and they can come out of time out when they are calmed down.

sweetone44_2004
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Dd is 3.5 and doesn't throw many fits, but when she does I just ask her to go to her room, or tell her to be quiet. She knows that if she is not physically hurt, that she doesn't need to cry. That's why we don't have many fits, but like I said she is 3.5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
army_wifey_06
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Quoting Tyler0102:

When my daughter is throwing a fit I usually ignore her til shes done then talk to her about it. If shes hitting or throwing things I put her in time out

I do the same thing with my son.
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Not at that age, I didn't.  When my Daughter at 5 does it, she does. I don't punish my 2 1/2 year old for throwing a fit. He rarely has but he does it more out of frustration and my Daughter does it because she isn't getting her way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)