Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do you punish for throwing fits?

Posted by   + Show Post
My almost 17 month old ds does not like to be told no, like all toddlers. Lately he likes to hit his head on something when he's mad. I let him do it and laugh (I know, I'm mean. I've been a mom for 17 years.) My husband swats him on the butt- it doesn't hurt him, just let's him know to stop. I don't get mad about that at all, just wondering what everyone else does in that situation.
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
sarahjohnson56
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM
They go straight to their room for throwing a fit and can come back out when theyve calmed down
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM

My son doesn't throw fits but here's a bump.

carsonsmommytam
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM
My son hasn't thrown one yet (he's 3), but if he did, I'd ignore him till he was calm and then talk about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I just ignore fits.  I tell her i'll pay attention to her when she's done and I walk away.

prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM
took the words out of my mouth! toddlers dont have enough words to express their need or wants. i have days when i want to throw fits, too=)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

No, they don't get punished for throwing a fit.  They have a right to express their emotions and that's all they are doing.  They will get punished, however, if the fit turns into throwing things, hitting, etc.  For a run of the mill fit, I ignore them until they calm down and then I ask them what's going on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FebPenguins
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I think I would ignore too. I do not punish for fits that are thrown because the child is hungry or tiered. Daddy thinks all fit throwing deserves spanking too.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I ignore them or remove them from the situation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crheinheimer
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM
He definitely throws a fit when he doesn't get his way! It's not often that it happens but he hit his head against the corner of the nightstand (while throwing his fit) hard enough to make himself bleed. He's a rough little boy so a little blood is nothing new, but that's the kind of situation my DH is trying to put a stop to. Of course, this child is so stubborn that it doesn't really faze him. Lol He's so much fun tho!
busymom64064
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:03 AM
I always ignore and put him in time out. At home, we have a spot. Out in public, if we are close to a bathroom then I take him in there and I put him in the stall and make him stand in there with the door close (while I stand on the outside making sure he doesn't get out) until he stops throwing a fit. If we aren't close to a bathroom, I find a corner outside.
At home or in public, I always explain to him what he did wrong after.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wauseonmom
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM
I ignor the "run of the mill" tantrum. But when she starts hitting and getting violent she is put in her room until she stops or wakes up from her nap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)