Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do your in laws favor other grand children over yours?

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM
  • 91 Replies

I feel like my in-laws favor my SIL's kids over my own. They love my kids, but I still see the preferential treatment towards their cousins.  Do you feel this way?

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. In the last 7yrs I've gotten over it. She pays no attention to my children, so after years if trying I just stopped. My boys have plenty of family that want to see and spend time with them. W/o us having to ask and ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygirl7161
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Nope. But my dd is the only grandchild. Dh and I are only children. My in laws spoil the shit out of her lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CBMama06
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Nope.. My DS is their only grandchild.. His Gigi has him rotten.. Sadly his grand pappy died in July from brain cancer..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy053008
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Nope mine are the only grandchildren on my hubbys side as his brothers wife can no longer have children. My mom likes all her grandchildren equally
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristina0121
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Ok so my exh's parents favor his oldest boy over the 2 kids we had together. They keep him every weekend while exh works but he wont take the kids fo his weekend visits because his parents don't want our kids there. Last year they even spent over $600 on his older boy for christmas, spent $50 on my son and nothing for my daughter. How heartbreaking is that! If my kids ever notice, I will throw a fit!

My parents spend all kinds of time with my sisters kids but not mine. I live about 20 min further than my sister is to them but they come a few times a year. But when they do come they talk about how much better behaved my kids are and how much them miss them! Part of me wants to scream.. then why don't you spend more time with them!?

Boyfriends parents aren't really interested in my kids at all. They play with them if they are here but don't ask to see them (and we've been livinf together for over a year now). They also favor bf's youngest over his oldest. They ask to see youngest every other day and want him to spend the night all the time. But when his oldest is around, they don't get too involved. (Oldest's bm lied to bf and said it wasn't his for 2 years and bf took her to court for a dna test to prove he was his. So he didn't start getting visits until he was 3 yo. His parents felt he should have just let it go and let bm raise him alone since that's what she wanted... sad)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2b2008
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Probably, only because they only see my kids once a year and they see their grandson anytime they want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tifbrown
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Not really. My mil has spent a lot more time with my sil's kids than ours. But, I also never used her as a babysitter. It would have been nice for her to stop by and visit, but it is what it is. Since we moved we don't see her often at all. When we do she spoils the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michellej428
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Yupp!! MIL is actually DH's stepmom and they definitely favor her son's children over my DS. My poor little guy is always left out because FIL lets MIL make all the decisions. But luckily DS has my mother and stepfather and their world revolves around him!!

TALuke
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm.  I wouldn't say "favor", but my MIL definitely caters more to the other ones.  My SIL is a complete idiot and has her kids running here and there while she works and goes to school.  In the meantime, my BIL and MIL have to constantly drive them places and pick them up, etc.  Makes me angry that she is always tied up with the other two kids and I have to schedule time for her to spend with mine.  But, such is life!

2love
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM
My mom in particular because my dad doesn't spend time with any of his kids let alone his grand kids lol anyways my mom favors boys over girls. She's always planning stuff for my son and my sisters boys but does stuff with the girls almost one time a year. Me and my sisters have noticed, my daughter has noticed. But I don't feel bad about it because my son only wants to watch her big screen tv at her house and my daughter said it's boring at her house so she doesn't want to go anyways lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)