Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do your in laws favor other grand children over yours?

Posted by   + Show Post

I feel like my in-laws favor my SIL's kids over my own. They love my kids, but I still see the preferential treatment towards their cousins.  Do you feel this way?

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
momtoBrenna
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM

No, there are no other grandchildren in the family than ours on all sides but, they do favor my dd over my ds when it comes to dh's parents.

CampClan
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM

NOPE! I'm one of 3 kids & my youngest brother doesn't have kids yet, My older one has 5 kids as well but they live in another state. I live in the same town as my parents. I totally expect my parents to spoil my nieces & nephews when they go visit them (which is once or twice a year).

luvinmommy89
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Most definitely! I have a 3 yr old son and my hubbys dad and gf never liked me from the start. Why they didn't ill never know, she just didn't get a good "vibe" off of me. Anyways, when they were told by my hubby that I was pregnant, they completey cut us off, didn't want to know anything about the pregnancy, how the baby was doing, nothing.

It never bothered me because my father and step mother were really involved with my pregnancy, coming to appts with me when my hubby couldn't make it, my dad threw my baby shower, he was very excited. My father has 10 grandchildren and out of those 10 my son is the one he sees almost everyday because his other children hold it against him that he remarried and choose to keep their kids away from him. My hubbys dad missed out on my sons first 2 and half yrs of life. He saw him once when my son was about 6 months old while we were helping my hubbys older brother move, and this old bastard just walked right by my son, didn't acknowedge him or nothing, which really pissed me off.

When he found out his oldest son and gf were expecting, oh he was very excited and was there every step of the way. He's been with their son since day one, always at their house, always babysitting, and always taking him little things here and there. It doesn't bother me at all because my son has my dad and step mom there for him, even though its not her grandson by blood, but they love eachother to death, that's her grandson no matter what. As long as he has them he doesn't need anyone else. I'm over it because my son does not need that man in his life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizzys_mommy13
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I do. Not so much my SIL's kids, but my husbands step siblings kids. It drives me bonkers. My FIL couldn't even call our daughter for her birthday this year, but he went out and bought his other grandaughter (step daughters kid) a pony! Pissed me off to no end!

JennasMom2
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Yes,  my in-laws live in another state so that probably plays a role, but still they don't ever call our kids, send cards or anything for holidays or birthdays, etc. Its like my kids don't exist when they aren't in front of them. When we go to visit it's often referenced that my SIL's kids are "her kids" by my MIL and my kids are often compared to them, which drives me absolutely insane. It sadden's me. I've tried to change things but they just see things differently, I guess. 

BlessedBeX3
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM

well my dh doesn't have any siblings so my fil doesn't favor anyone but my children lol but my mom favors my sister and her childer over my family mainly bc they all live together. I just brush it off and am cordial when we talk.

cutestmom24
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM
My mil loves all her grandkids the same.the only reason my mil dosent see my dd is because we live in miami.while her orther grandkids live in maryland.but in the next yr or so.in the mean time she dose send cards and presents to my dd and mil call's every Sunday to talk to dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nichole0403
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Big time! Also my parents favored my brother kids more. Think it's because we are more self sufficent and don't "need" them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Yep.  My MIL does favor the grandkids that are local.  It doesn't help that they are twins, the youngest 2 of the 6 and also have one with downs.

calvinsmommy18
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM

my kids are the only grandkids...on both sides. do they favor one kid over the other? somewhat, but i think mostly because he was their first grandchild, and hes 4 and can play and do fun stuff, dd is only 8 months and shes obviously not as easy to take places and such.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN