Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do your in laws favor other grand children over yours?

Posted by   + Show Post

I feel like my in-laws favor my SIL's kids over my own. They love my kids, but I still see the preferential treatment towards their cousins.  Do you feel this way?

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
mommie004
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Actually, no, our kids are the favored ones. Not that the inlaws treat any of them better than the rest, but they have said how they enjoy having our kids around more because they are better behaved than my SIL's kids.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Nope, but only because my BIL's son is in his 20s and he has a kid of his own!  They also live a state away so my in-laws see our kids more than they see their other grandson or great-granddaughter. 

conejoazul
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I don´t feel that way.  But my MIL favors housekeeping and cooking over spending quality time with both of her grandchildren. Oh, well. Her loss. If that is what she wants to be remembered for , I suppose we can etch it on her gravestone. I was bothered about it initially, but she is who she is. It is up to each person to pick the quality of the relationships they form with others and with whom ... that doesn´t change, even with grandparents.

ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM

no, my DS is their only grandchild!

JenD_77
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM

My MIL only has my kids as grandkids right now but my own mother favors my step brother's kids over the rest of the bunch but i understand it because they live in the same city and my family and the other grandkids dont live anywhere near.. but I do think my MIL favors my oldest over the other three most of the time, though she tries to treat each the same.

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Yes. My SIL (32!!) still lives with my MIL with her 5 kids and she definitely favors her kids...hell she pretty much raises them. We live an hour away and my MIL never comes to see our girls. If we see my MIL, we make the drive.

Last year, when DD1 turned 2, my MIL didn't even come to her birthday party. :( It hurts my feelings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMR320
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM
No not at all. My in-laws treat all 5 grandkids the same. If BIL asks them to keep his kids overnight then they want our kids too and same if we ask. Birthday and Christmas presents are always fair as well. I have great in laws!
My mom is great too and treats her step grands the same as my kids. Eveyone in both mine and DH's family keeps everything fair with the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM
No they all get the same treatment
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Not really.  I don't know if I just happed to be the "favorite" or what.  At lesat I haven't noticed it.

careyphotoo
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Yes mil does she favors my Ss over dd and there biological grandchildren and last I heard from sil is that she favors the boys anyway. It does piss me off a bit but I'm learning to get over since I don't get along with mil anyway!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)