Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do your in laws favor other grand children over yours?

Posted by   + Show Post

I feel like my in-laws favor my SIL's kids over my own. They love my kids, but I still see the preferential treatment towards their cousins.  Do you feel this way?

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM

YES my MIL favors the kids from hubbys first marriage 

sissyboogs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM

No...but my kids are my in-laws only grandchildren....

lizmartinez
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM
MIL has no other grand kids. She acts like her niece is her granddaughter and definitely shows favoritism over DS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
army_wifey_06
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Yes. I feel like they favor BIL's kids.
britt80
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM
A little. Dh has a dd from a previous marriage, we have a dd together, and then there's my ds from a previous relationship. While they still love my ds and have welcomed him into their family, he is also left out of a lot of things. He doesn't get the grandparents day the other kids get, or get to spend the night at grandma and grandpas, things like that. I have mentioned it to my dh, but I try not to make a stink about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

yes hubbys mom favors his sisters kids she sent ours a lousy 2 bucks for her birthday--2 monthes late!

kidlet29
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids365
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Unfortunetly yes....They favor my sil (who is a sc to my mil) 's kids over mine. I look at it this way, when my kids are old enough to realize the "favoritism" they won't like them. Its sad really. I wish it wasn't like that.

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Quoting kristina0121:

Ok so my exh's parents favor his oldest boy over the 2 kids we had together. They keep him every weekend while exh works but he wont take the kids fo his weekend visits because his parents don't want our kids there. Last year they even spent over $600 on his older boy for christmas, spent $50 on my son and nothing for my daughter. How heartbreaking is that! If my kids ever notice, I will throw a fit!

My parents spend all kinds of time with my sisters kids but not mine. I live about 20 min further than my sister is to them but they come a few times a year. But when they do come they talk about how much better behaved my kids are and how much them miss them! Part of me wants to scream.. then why don't you spend more time with them!?

Boyfriends parents aren't really interested in my kids at all. They play with them if they are here but don't ask to see them (and we've been livinf together for over a year now). They also favor bf's youngest over his oldest. They ask to see youngest every other day and want him to spend the night all the time. But when his oldest is around, they don't get too involved. (Oldest's bm lied to bf and said it wasn't his for 2 years and bf took her to court for a dna test to prove he was his. So he didn't start getting visits until he was 3 yo. His parents felt he should have just let it go and let bm raise him alone since that's what she wanted... sad)

:(  That kind of stuff would bother me too. It's not the $, but the fact that they thought more of one kid over the other.   At least they have you! 

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Quoting ilovemykids365:

Unfortunetly yes....They favor my sil (who is a sc to my mil) 's kids over mine. I look at it this way, when my kids are old enough to realize the "favoritism" they won't like them. Its sad really. I wish it wasn't like that.

I wonder if my kids will ever notice. They don't now. My in-laws are kind toward my kids, but I definitely see the favoritism. I wonder If I will be the only one who sees it or they will pick up on it when they are older. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)