Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Have they visited the eye doctor yet?

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM
  • 32 Replies

Have your LO's been to the eye doctor yet? 

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Nope.  So far there has not been a reason to.  When do they usually start to go when there are not any issues?

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Yes - they both went just prior to age 1 for a once over.

The pediatrician also checks their vision and there has been no cause for concern warranting another eye doctor visit.

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Quoting PEEK05:

Nope.  So far there has not been a reason to.  When do they usually start to go when there are not any issues?

It is actually recommended they see an opthamologist or optemetrist prior to age 1 to check for issues that pediatricians can not/do no typically check for.

I believe after that point, it is based on an "as needed" basis.

PEEK05
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting PEEK05:

It is actually recommended they see an opthamologist or optemetrist prior to age 1 to check for issues that pediatricians can not/do no typically check for.

I haven't noticed anything that made me think that they were having issues so I haven't taken them lol.

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM

My son's first eye dr visit was at 10 months, second was at 2 1/2 years. We have eye conditions that run in my family so I want to catch it as soon as possible if he has it. So far so good. :o) 

The baby will see the eye doctor for the first time when he is around 9-12 months. 

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

That is great you are so pro-active!

A lot of parents don't know about the "infantsee" program which promotes the exact time frame you mentioned.....

http://www.infantsee.org/ 

Quoting Nicholy10:

My son's first eye dr visit was at 10 months, second was at 2 1/2 years. We have eye conditions that run in my family so I want to catch it as soon as possible if he has it. So far so good. :o) 

The baby will see the eye doctor for the first time when he is around 9-12 months. 

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

We took advantage of the infantsee.org program for this purpose, for two reasons.

1.  That way I knew I was taking them to someone informed and educated on what to screen for.

2.  While we have good insurance, I did not have to even pay our copay.

http://www.infantsee.org/

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting PEEK05:

I haven't noticed anything that made me think that they were having issues so I haven't taken them lol.

MamaBuck09
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM
One has, right before her 3rd birthday because we couldn't find out what was wrong with her. And the Dr had us go down a check list before doing major tests.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carsonsmommytam
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Yup! Since birth. He sees him yearly. My sons eye doc says they recommend they are seen before kindergarten, as long as there are no concerns before then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Yes. They actually all had their yearly exam on Thursday.
We start at 1 year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN