Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Ugh, ds's preschool teacher...Update with letter... Long Update in replies

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM
  • 36 Replies

Ds didn't immediately line up during recess when one of the kids fell so his teacher is taking away tomorrow's recess. They have a time out chair and I think that should have been utilized instead. She was very snarky about it and shouting down the hallway that this would teach him to be a better listener. He's a 4 yr old boy, no recess is going to cause him to listen less not better and I doubt that he will correlate the punishment tomorrow with what happened today. Grrr

Update, I have drafted a letter to his teacher and I would like some feedback. My sister says that it is slightly condescending... Here it is

Dear Mrs. L______,

We need to have a conference in regards to Quinn and appropriate consequences for young children. I understand that it is imperative that he listens to you and Mrs. T_______\Mrs. M_____. I also agree that he should have consequences for not listening. I heard the boys say that you have a time out chair. That is the most effective and appropriate consequence for his infractions. I feel that you have overreacted in both instances regarding the playground.

Yes, he opened the gate leading into the school but, nothing happened and, he has not repeated it after it was explained to him that he shouldn't do that. I do not think that it warranted my being asked to stay after class to discuss it. A simple, Quinn opened the gate, please reinforce that he shouldn't do that at the door would have sufficed.

Yesterday, he should have lined up when asked but, he should have been placed into the timeout chair, had explained to him what he did wrong, done his time, had what he did wrong reinforced, been allowed to apologize and it should have been done. Again, a simple Quinn had trouble listening today, please talk with him about the importance of doing so would have been enough. Calling loudly to me that it would make him a better listener was unprofessional and unnecessary.

Taking away his recess time 24 hours after his "2nd" infraction and weeks after the 1st one is going to be counterproductive and goes against all common practices for consequences involving young children. He is not going to correlate his lost recess with his prior misbehavior and is 99% likely to listen to you less and cause trouble.

Quinn loves attending your class and I would like him to continue but, I will pull him if I feel that your discipline practices will be detrimental to his development. Also, he is left handed but he tells me that he is doing school right handed. When he writes right handed, he tends to form the letters backwards and upside down. He does his homework and all home writing left handed. I would appreciate it if you would remind him to use his left hand.

So, what do you guys think? Sorry that it's so long. I have not decided if I will give it to her or simply talk it out with her but it helped to get my thoughts out sans profanity.

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM
2 moms liked this

She totally handled that wrong. Four year old boys take the cake on being very active. He needs his recess and she needs a time out! 

babowes
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
tell her how you feel
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:32 PM
I am afraid that I will be very rude with her about it. She was being very unprofessional to shout after me down the hallway. He had 1 other time on the playground in the 2nd or so week where he opened the gate that leads back into the school, she is still counting it against him and using it along with today as the reason for taking tomorrow's recess. :|
joshlor2
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Take is up with the director or principal. That is totally ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Quoting joshlor2:

Take is up with the director or principal. That is totally ridiculous.

I might have to, I thought about keeping him home tomorrow but dh said not to. I know with 0 doubt that he is going to be a troublemaker tomorrow because of this very inappropriate punishment. :(
Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this
That teacher needs to clearly take a LOT of child development classes

That child would also no longer be my child's teacher after that.
momtoBrenna
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Quoting Kris_PBG:

That teacher needs to clearly take a LOT of child development classes

That child would also no longer be my child's teacher after that.

Unfortunately, she is the only available teacher unless I want to look for a new preschool at this point in the school year. This school is the only one that we can afford though. :(
Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting momtoBrenna:

I would be speaking to her about developmental norms and appropriate consequences for 4 year olds or speaking to her supervisor then.

Or contemplate pulling him.

If she will say that to your face, what is she saying behinds closed doors?

I am one if the biggest advocates of high quality prek's out there - but she sounds very far from a high quality teacher.

Good luck...
Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I would probably pull him if I couldn't get the issue resolved with supervisors.

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM
2 moms liked this
what a bitch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN