Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Should we go back to Goodnites at age 4?

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM
  • 16 Replies

My DSD was doing really good with not peeing the bed at night. She would wake up to pee and would always pee before bed.

However, now she pees the bed almost every night. At her mother's house, they still use pull-ups at night. Could that be the reason she stopped being good at it?

I have heard that you cant night-train them. Thats why I'm wondering if we should go back to using Good-nites or if that will discourge her from using the potty at night.

We have tried the Goodnites bed mats, but I really dont like them.

by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jb0520
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Wow, it's funny I stumbled along this post. My ds just turned 4 on monday and for 2 weeks now hes ben wetting the bed. Done hes been potty training we have never had a problem at night until now. I think hes sleep is just changing and hes in a much deeper sleep now. He goes to bed at 7:30 or 8 and when I'm getting ready for bed at 11 I pick him up and carry him into go and he goes and we haven't head a problem those 3 nights
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joshlor2
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Your right you can't night train a kid. You have two options. Go back to pull ups or night train yourself. Pull ups weren't an option for my dd, so we (meaning I lol) would get up at 11 and 4 am, carry her to the potty to go. After a while her bladder caught up to her growth and I no longer needed to do that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I would use some kind of protective night pants.  I do not believe that most children wet because they are lazy or don't want to get out of bed.  For most kids, the stigma of bed-wetting or having to wear a pull-up is enough to curb that.  If a kid is still wetting at 4, there may be lots of reasons.

She could have chronic constipation, ADHD, sleep apnea, or any number of other issues that agravate the bed-wetting.

The thing is, you have a choice.  You cannot control her bedwetting, unless YOU are going to get her up every hour throughout the night.  So, you can put her in protective pants, you can do laundry everyday, or you can make her sleep in a bed she wet in the night before.  Personally, I go for the pull-ups.

My daughter still wets, at 4.  She day-time potty trained months before her older brother and sister (who are 8-1/2 months older).  Once she is asleep, all bets are off.  We limit fluids in the evening, use the potty right before bed, get her up as soon as she is awake to use the potty... on the days she stays dry, we do the happy dance.  On the days she wakes up wet, we say we will try again tomorrow.  She REALLY wants to not have to wear a pull-up... we work on it...

corrinacs
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM

How long was she dry at night for?  If it were a few weeks, then perhaps she's regressing....but if its been months or more, and now she's regressing, I'd be a little bit concenred.

Depending one the case would determine if I'd want to use the Goodnights again or not.

Is the change to her mom's house different?  Is she spending a lot more time with her mom than she used to?  Perhaps that's the reason.

But, not to jump to any guns, does her mom have a BF or anything?  I know that for chidlren who are well night trained for a while, and regress, it can sometimes mean there's sexual abuse going on :/.

But I would need more informaiton to help.

Good luck mama!  I know this is hard!

spooky415
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Its not really regressing...its just that her bladder is small and she's probably not waking up. My son was potty trained by three but even at four sometimes if he drinks just a little too much at night, he might have an accident. We don't put him in pull-ups, though. We have a mattress protector on the bed and if it happens, its not a big deal we just clean it up. I just remind him not to drink anythign before dinner. Sometimes, I get him up if I wake up to pee and have him go pee too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedBeX3
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

you can night train a child, just wake her up at night and take her to the potty, then put her back in bed. you also need to talk to her mother about this too, bc you all need to be on the same page.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM

bump

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

yep, you can't night train her.  if it were me i would go to the pull-ups cuz i'm certainly not going to wake up to take a kid to pee since it's out of my hands anyway.  i would just wait until she's staying dry consistenly again and then take them away.  i also agree that if she's been dry at night for a few months or more then you may just check in with your pedi and see what they have to say.

Zindagi511
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I don't see a problem with using Good nites.  You can always just use it for special occasions when you think she might have an accident due to timing.  I did the same thing.  My son has been potty trained since 2.5, but every once in a while, usually if he has dinner late, or has something to drink right before bedtime, he ends up wetting the bed.  He'll go weeks and weeks without an accident and then have 2 of them in a week.  I just got so sick and tired of it that I got him Good Nites.  We call it "padded underwear" since diapers are for babies.  He's occasionally had an accident though usually it smells from crotch sweat (smells like faint pee). I'm starting to cut down on the padded underwear though because he's been really good and not having accidents lately (knock on wood!)

Marz31
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM

An option we considered before DD insisted we stop putting a goodnights undies on her since she had been dry for a while even in those was the goodnights pads. We thought we'd slip one under the fitted sheet on her bed (she's still in her toddler daybed/converted crib) and then, if she did have an accident, we'd only have to change the top sheed and it would be mostly contained. and if not, it could stay there instead of having to throw out a virtually unused 75 cent overnight diaper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN