Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Tablet for toddler or preschooler?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

My husband wants to get my son, who will be 3 in January, a LeapPad.  I am not really thrilled about this; I wanted to wait to introduce electronic games and such a few more years.  I just feel like he should be more focused on playing, imagination, fine motor skills, social skills, etc than on playing games.  I know they are supposed to be educational but nothing that he can not and will not learn otherwise.  I would love to get your opinion on giving a young child a tablet.

by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mamamedic69
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:08 PM
I got my DD a Mobigo last year (age2) and it was a great investment. She uses it for a half hour then it's back to her playing. I thought that it would replace using her toys but it didn't. Some of the games require her to use fine motor skills along with increasing her learning of other things.
I bought that one as it has a touch screen and a keyboard so she will learn how to use a computer down the road.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Thank you.  My biggest fear is that he will get this thing and want to sit around with it all day and not do anything else.  He loves playing outside and with other children and even just with his toys and I don't want to encourage him to stop doing those things.

Quoting mamamedic69:

I got my DD a Mobigo last year (age2) and it was a great investment. She uses it for a half hour then it's back to her playing. I thought that it would replace using her toys but it didn't. Some of the games require her to use fine motor skills along with increasing her learning of other things.
I bought that one as it has a touch screen and a keyboard so she will learn how to use a computer down the road.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

We started with a kid's VTech laptop when my son was 3 and he loved it!  I was thinking of a LeapPad for the kids for Christmas but then played on one that our friends have and I didn't like it.  I also agree with you on prolonging the electronic stuff.  We have a Kindle Fire and iPad that the kids use every so often when we need them entertained but that's the extent of it.  We just aren't a big video game/electronic kind of a house anyway.  The thing to remember is that even if he wanted to play on it all day, you can set up the boundaries immediately.  20 mins here and there and when Mommy says "all done" it's time to put it away.

mamamedic69
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:32 PM
At first he may use it a lot because it's new. DD went through that the first week but then I limited it, like I do tv and now she limits herself.

Quoting PAmommy32:

Thank you.  My biggest fear is that he will get this thing and want to sit around with it all day and not do anything else.  He loves playing outside and with other children and even just with his toys and I don't want to encourage him to stop doing those things.

Quoting mamamedic69:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM

we're getting our two youngest innotab2's for Christmas (they'll be 3+ and 21months), they will be for use in the car on long drives and at dinner while we wait for our supper in certain restaurants that are notorious for taking forever and our kids getting antsy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN