Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

for those of you with big dogs... update

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM
  • 24 Replies
i have a 3 year old who is terrified of dogs because her dad (my ex) has a dog that hates small people so its slightly aggressive towards them. ive gotten my daughter used to my dog by having her help with feeding her but my dog has been outside since we got her. now that the weather is cold i want to start letting her in the house but she is so hyper. how do i train her to calm down so she wont scare my daughter?

update: she is just over 1 year old black lab border collie mix
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy06and09
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:50 PM
anyone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TatiaRose
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:56 PM
You should enroll her in puppy classes/obidence school.
How old is the dog and what kind?
babowes
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM
oh man....big dogs care me too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elisesmom922
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM

What kind of dog is it? Different things can work for different types of dogs...

Daisypath - (ywCW)Ticker id: wxXo
Mrs.wilcox01
by Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM
My 2yr old lab is crate trained
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beth3721
by Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Definitely enroll her in a training course.  They aren't nearly as spendy as some people think.  Try the petstores if you can't find a place on your own.  Any dog can be calm with the right training.

RobynS
by Robyn on Oct. 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Oh boy! Our dog is a chocolate lab/cattle dog mix (cattle lab, LOL). I was told that labs don't really outgrow the puppy stage for 3 YEARS! Ours is almost 2. He is a bit calmer than he was, but he has a lot of puppy left in him.

Make sure to get him outside a couple of times a day if you can and really run him to get all of his energy out. Throw balls, frisbees... whatever he likes to chase. Run with him if you want. Do what you can to wear him out while he's outside!! :)

Good luck!! BTW, my DD was afraid of larger dogs. We got our pup when he was just 6 weeks old (probably he was a bit too young to leave mama, but I didn't know that then). I figured if she met him when he was small and sorta grew up with him, she wouldn't suddenly fear him one day when he was full grown. It worked! She is no longer afraid of larger dogs. :)

3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Walks make a huge difference for dogs. Before it gets too cold start walking her and take dd with you guys. Let them walk together an get used to each other. You have a lab and they have lots of energy. You have to get rid of the energy. A trainer wouldn't hurt either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Good luck- that sounds like a very energetic dog. We had a cattle dog mix that we got as a 2 month old puppy, but had to get rid of due to aggression (he didn't bite DD, but he did snap at DH when DH tried to coax him out of his crate). Due to this dog, DD has been fairly scared of large dogs, especially when they bark, but she's getting over it. We took in a weimaraner about a year ago and DD does all right around him once he's been in the house long enough to settle down a bit, but when he first comes in the house she'll still use me as a human shield. It largely is taking time and exposure, but it's a different situation when our dog is middle aged.

FabLife
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Crate train

Feeling Chatty? Join Us http://www.cafemom.com/group/117888

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)