Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

child attacked at zoo

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:20 PM
  • 18 Replies
It happened in seconds. A 2-year-old boy slipped over a railing, bounced into a safety net, bounced again, and tumbled into an exhibit of African painted dogs, which mauled him to death.

The heartbreaking scenario came to light Monday as the Pittsburgh Zoo released details of the child’s death Sunday.

If someone had jumped in to save him, would it have helped? “In my professional opinion, no,” zoo President Barbara Baker, a veterinarian, said at a news conference today. “There were 11 dogs in the exhibit.”

Although there were zoo officials within feet of the exhibit, and others rushed to the scene, it was too late – it was clear the child was dead, Baker said. “There was no reason to send our staff into harm’s way” at that point, she said.

An emergency weapons team and the police arrived. The dogs were moved to another area
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alreadydidthis
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Although kids can slip away from our grip extremly fast I blame the mother not the zoo. But I cry for the little boy and how he suffered. I almost wished he would have died from the fall or at least been knocked unconcious. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Omg, this is horrible!   A reminder for all parents to use common sense and be extra cautious in certain circumstances. I feel terrible for the family. :(

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Quoting alreadydidthis:

Although kids can slip away from our grip extremly fast I blame the mother not the zoo. But I cry for the little boy and how he suffered. I almost wished he would have died from the fall or at least been knocked unconcious. :(

It's so sad! 

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM
So aweful that poor baby and that mother is an idiot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my2sweetjoys
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM

It breaks my heart to hear about this story

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM
On Sunday, a two year old toddler was mauled to death after he fell into the African painted dog exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium. The little boy fell after losing his balance from where he stood on a wooden railing.

The little boy’s mother picked him up so he could stand on a four foot high wooden railing. The railing was on an elevated, gazebo like structure that was over the African painted dog enclosure and there were many signs posted asking people not to climb on the railing.

According to witness reports, the little boy fell over the railing, hit a mesh shelf and landed in the open exhibit. Once he hit the ground, he was attacked by 11 dogs being housed there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Omg so sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weirdkids
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM
3 moms liked this

if it had been my kid, i dont care how many dogs are in there id be going in after him even if for nothing more than to cover and shield him. ill trade my life any day

storkradio193
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM

So sad..

Sounds like the safety precautions were not followed by the family, but sounds to me like there needs to be more separation between animals that attack so quickly.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

babowes
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Yes more separation betwen humans and animals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)