Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What age does a toddler stop getting snacks between meals?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM
  • 17 Replies

My son will be 3 years old this january 31st,   I had been giving him breaskfast, then a small snack, then lunch, then a small snack then dinner... But It seemed that he wouldn't eat his meals very well. so I figured that maybe the snacks were causing him to be less hungry.

so the last few days I've only been giving him breaskfast lunch and dinner, with no snacks. He does seem to be eating his meals better. But I'm curious, should I cut out snacks?

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manna_8809
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM
My son will be four in June I still give him snacks between meals
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

My son is almost 6 and still has snacks.  I don't think you need to cut snacks, I think you just need to space them out and make sure the portions aren't too big.  His meal portions might be too big as well.  Just because he doesn't clean his plate doesn't mean that he's not getting just what his body needs.  Offer him a little and if he's still hungry, give him more. 

I just think they are so active that they need that extra energy boost thru the day.

daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I still do snacks for all of our kids.  oldes is 8... I try and make sure I eat a snack as well.  But keep in mind, our snacks and meals are small.  We do small servings.. Instead of giving him a plate full of food, keep in mind that his tummy is about the size of his fist.  For example, for breakfast, my 2 yr old had a small slice of french toast, and about 1/4th cup of watermelon, and 1/2 cup milk.  Then for snack, 4 crackers, 4 small squares of cheese, about 8 grapes, and a glass of water.  Lunch will be about 1/2 cup of spaghetti with a meat sauce, and some fresh veggies.  If he wants more after he eats, he is welcome to have seconds, but we start will small servings.  

som610
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I have kids ages 5,3,&1 and a SD that is 10. We have breakfast at 7:30 snack at 10 lunch at 12:30 snack at 3 and supper at 6ish.  We were doing breakfast at 8 and lunch at noon so we didn't have a snack in between. I think it just depends on how long between meals and the child. My children wouldn't make it without snacks.. lol They get very cranky. None of them are over weight either.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM
3 moms liked this

Healthy snacks in between meals is very important and shouldn't be cut out. In fact, it's actually healthier to eat 6-7 small meals a day than it is 3 bigger meals. I would suggest cutting back on the quantity of food given each time.

erinsmom1964
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM
I am 48 and still snack between meals....its better for your metabolism and blood sugar levels
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Never. Snacking is important at all ages. 3 meals and 3 snacks per day, or 6 small meals, is optimal for health.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM
My dd is 6 1/2 and in 1 st grade and they get a snack at school and she gets one when she gets home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM

not until they start school in my house, and even then most will give an afternoon snack, my  11 year old still gets a snack when she gets home from school, and my 1.5 and 3 year olds still get both morning and afternoon snacks.

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I still give my older kids a snack between meals and I even have a snack sometimes. Snacks are usually a piece of fruit, somettimes chips, a yogurt, string cheese, ect. I figure if the kids get healthy snacks I don't give very big portions at dinner and they can always ask for seconds if they are still hungry and they are eating a nice variaty of food

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN