Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

advice about potty training :/

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM
  • 2 Replies

my daughter is almost 3 and I cant get her to go on the potty for nothing : / rewards dont work, encouragement doesnt work. asking every half hour to an hour doesnt work. moving the potty to her "comfort zone" doesnt work.  she acts like potty time is torture time! so i tried buying undies thinking maybe if she wet herself shed pick up on the idea that she has to go on the potty - nope, she just pees her pants and denies even going to the bathroom and runs and hides :(  any other suggstions? im out of ideas

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
k.stark
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I'm sure I will get shamed for this... but honestly... for quite a long time the only way I could get my son to not pee his pants was by telling him that he would get a time out or even a spanking for peeing himself... He's almost 4 and I still have to tell him to go to the bathroom all the time it seems... He tells me that he doesn't want to go .. and I tell him it's not about wanting to go... it's about what we all have to do... does she hide when she pees herself??? If so.. imo she knows very well what she is doing and is being obstinate.. GL... kids can be rough!! :)

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Definitely do not punish or threaten. Shes still young and not quite ready. If you haven't already, keep her in underwear for 7-10 days straight (except for sleeping). Just prepare to clean up a lot of accidents. If after that time shes not made any progress, stop for a while. Take her (don't ask) every 30 mins and go NUTS if even one drop makes it in. Don't force her. If she resists, you have to let her be. She knows she has the control here so don't get in a power struggle that you cant win. Remember that using the potty is inevitable. 3 or 3 1/2 makes no difference in the long run, she won't graduate in a diaper so don't let this be a big deal. Its just pee and poop...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN