Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I never thought I would be "one of those moms"

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
  • 95 Replies

Recently, in the last week or two, I have introduced my 3.5 year old to my phone to play games or color or whatever. I've never let her before. She is so good with all of this! I do a lot of home play, teaching, reading, etc. for a blog that I do (I have posted some of our stuff here before) and will continue doing so, but she likes to do this stuff when my 18 month old is napping if I don't have an art project planned, or if I let her stay up a little later than her brother if she's had a good day and only if she's laying down in bed next to me in the dark while I'm reading on my laptop sometimes.
Well, I'd love to get her a tablet of some kind for her 4th birthday in February to install some educational games, apps, and books for her for these times that she would be allowed to use it. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire HD to share with mommy. She would get her own profile on it because I have read that you can set a profile for each of your kid's and only allow them to access what you put on that profile for them. They are only like $100 more than one of those LeapFrog tablets and it would obviously be for me too, not just hers to do whatever and whenever she wanted with it. I've read that the LeapFrog tablets are easily outgrown because the games are easy to master and the games themselves are expensive, whereas I can get free apps or purchase cheaper ones on the Kindle Fire so that when she outgrows whatever game, app, book that is on it can be replaced with something different. I know that might make me crazy, but I don't see the harm in it. I just never thought I would be "one of those moms" who bought them something like this!

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM
5 moms liked this

We have a Kindle Fire that my kids have apps/videos on.  I don't consider myself "one of those moms" because I don't rely on it to teach or babysit my kids.  Lately I use it on Wednesdays for my dd while my son is in his Karate class.  it keeps her in one place and quiet and I can focus on him and enjoy watching him.  Otherwise, they don't have unlimited access to it.  It's there when we need it but it's mine, not theirs.  I don't think there is anything wrong with allowing your kids to play on those things as long as it's not all they do.  We have friends that rely almost completely on electronics and the kids are sufering socially for it.  Like anything else in the world, it's all about balace...

JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I have a nook color that I seldom use now that I have a tablet.  I let our 3 year old play on it on long road trips.  I was never going to be that parent either... but i have learned to stop saying that! LOL

I think if you are going to get a digital whatever for your kid a multi use tablet is way better than a kid specific thing like the leap pad. 

Even tho we let him play with my nook, its still mine.  I want him to feel like he is borrowing my toy and has to return it when his time is up.  I think 3 is too young to have your own expensive electronics. 

xoxRachelxox
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM

My kids love playing with our cell phones and the ipad. They picked it up so quickly. I don't think it's a bad thing that they can navigate technology. It's probably a good thing!

We are thinking of getting the boys the leap frog computer. It will help with their learning so I'm all for it. Maybe not the price but they'll love it.

weddingcountdown.com

PEEK05
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM

What is the leap frog computer?

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

My kids love playing with our cell phones and the ipad. They picked it up so quickly. I don't think it's a bad thing that they can navigate technology. It's probably a good thing!

We are thinking of getting the boys the leap frog computer. It will help with their learning so I'm all for it. Maybe not the price but they'll love it.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM

ian has and still loves his leap frog. and luckily when he does out grow it i still have hailey. though i recently learned of the nabi i think it's called and would rather have that. lol. if i could afford the kindle fire i would probably consider getting it though.

SlightlyPerfect
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM

My DD will be 4 in December. We plan to get her a tablet or an e-reader, too. We love technology. And if you think about it, their schooling will most likely be way more media-based when they start elementary school, so you're giving her a leg up.

slightlyperfect

PEEK05
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Yeah I figure by the time E-Man and the new baby will want to use something like this, I can just create them their own profiles too.  It wouldn't be for a long while though since he's still only 18 months and the baby is in the womb lol.  By that time, the newness of a gift to share with mommy won't be as new and special for her so it shouldn't be a big deal. :)

Quoting .Angelica.:

ian has and still loves his leap frog. and luckily when he does out grow it i still have hailey. though i recently learned of the nabi i think it's called and would rather have that. lol. if i could afford the kindle fire i would probably consider getting it though.

Mom2jngnc
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM

we had an old leapster that my 5 yr old loves... not to mention angry birds on my ipod. man the dr's appointments and PT that kept his busy through following my knee surgery 2 yrs ago. 

he got a leapfrog computer for his second B-day and LOVED it. 

he just got a leapster leappad 2 for his birthday from my MIL and loves it. 

he will use my kindle but i don't really like to hadn it off to him to play on, but we've doene that when needed.

I learned a LONG time ago to never say never...... 

bc19
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I look at it this way, I am buying myself all these wonderful things and my son just happens to be lucky enough to use it with me. Makes me feel better when I start thinking about buying this like the kindle fire and I start thinking about what I can use on it for my son.

StrawberryJam20
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

nope...not a good idea, those things weren't invented for children. 

addison only plays online for 45 minutes, and on my phone if we are it and thats nn the car or at an appointment, and thats it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)