Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I never thought I would be "one of those moms"

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently, in the last week or two, I have introduced my 3.5 year old to my phone to play games or color or whatever. I've never let her before. She is so good with all of this! I do a lot of home play, teaching, reading, etc. for a blog that I do (I have posted some of our stuff here before) and will continue doing so, but she likes to do this stuff when my 18 month old is napping if I don't have an art project planned, or if I let her stay up a little later than her brother if she's had a good day and only if she's laying down in bed next to me in the dark while I'm reading on my laptop sometimes.
Well, I'd love to get her a tablet of some kind for her 4th birthday in February to install some educational games, apps, and books for her for these times that she would be allowed to use it. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire HD to share with mommy. She would get her own profile on it because I have read that you can set a profile for each of your kid's and only allow them to access what you put on that profile for them. They are only like $100 more than one of those LeapFrog tablets and it would obviously be for me too, not just hers to do whatever and whenever she wanted with it. I've read that the LeapFrog tablets are easily outgrown because the games are easy to master and the games themselves are expensive, whereas I can get free apps or purchase cheaper ones on the Kindle Fire so that when she outgrows whatever game, app, book that is on it can be replaced with something different. I know that might make me crazy, but I don't see the harm in it. I just never thought I would be "one of those moms" who bought them something like this!

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
Devious333
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM
I was feeling bad about wanting to get ds a tablet lol and he is 5. I think with the way technology is going, how it is a big part of our lives, that it would be a good time to start. I want to get ds one for educational purposes and games, so I'm thinking I might get a kindle fire as well for us to share :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I don't really believe in electronics for kids either but my 5 year old just does not like toys.  He is homeschooled and doing great.  With the recent discovery that he is gifted and at a 3rd grade level and the encouragement of the teacher of the gifted kids at school (charter homeschool program) I think we just might get him a tablet.  

Have you looked at the Nabi?  It's made for kids and is built around educational software.  It also has a built in bumper in case they drop it.

http://www.nabitablet.com/

That's what we are going for.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM

And my 2 year old will be very jealous but I refuse to get a tablet for a kid under the age of 5.

xoxRachelxox
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM

It may not be "Leap Frog" but it's a little computer looking machine that they can put cartridges in and play and learn. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Quoting PEEK05:

What is the leap frog computer?

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

My kids love playing with our cell phones and the ipad. They picked it up so quickly. I don't think it's a bad thing that they can navigate technology. It's probably a good thing!

We are thinking of getting the boys the leap frog computer. It will help with their learning so I'm all for it. Maybe not the price but they'll love it.

xoxRachelxox
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Okay, I had to print screen it because it wouldn't let me save the picture to my computer.

This is what I'm talking about.

jesusyangela
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM

they have system specifically for kids this is the link

http://vtech.factoryoutletstore.com/details/54125/Vtech-80-136800.html

Karenjm
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I also never thought I'd be one of those moms, but hey, this is our way of life now and I think it's good for them to know how to use all this touch screen stuff.  Back in the day it was game consoles :-)

squeakers2
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
My 3 yr old daughter has Juvenile Arthritis that affects her hands and a condition called Brachydactyly, which causes some of her fingers to be shorter than they should be. Her ring fingers are the only fingers that are the size they should be, and both her pinkies and index fingers hook. Her hand function is affected bc of this. She has problems holding crayons and such, she points with her ring finger, and her hands are not as strong as they should be. My sister came to visit around this time last year and had her iPad. Watching my daughter play on it, she was using all her fingers. We bought her an iPad last Christmas. She has a bunch of different apps that are educational. We don't rely on the iPad to teach her everything, but she knows a lot more bc of it. She knew all colors, letters, numbers, all the basic animals that kids are taught, and some shapes. From one app, she knows more complex animals. From another (and reading books), she is recognizing words. She has learned some basic sign language and italian (also something we were working on in the home). Her hand function has greatly improved, even an occupational therapist commented on her improvement. We are a technology driven family. The amount of electronics in our house would be shocking to most people. We don't believe it is a bad thing for kids, even at a young age, to know how to use different types of technology.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k_hall1784
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM

It's crazy when you become "one of those moms". As we get older, we change and a lot of the time end up doing something that we previously thought was crazy. Take me for example. I used to think that any woman who had a baby without pain meds was just trying to "one up"  the moms who didn't. Same goes for those who had babies at home. After learning more about it I have realized that they aren't crazy or snobs, but women who aren't "afraid" of living the way nature intended. But back to your initial post, I think tablets are great learning tools. They can be fun and educational. We gave our then 4 and 7 year old an Ipad one year. They loved it. I say go for it.

Quoting PEEK05:

Recently, in the last week or two, I have introduced my 3.5 year old to my phone to play games or color or whatever. I've never let her before. She is so good with all of this! I do a lot of home play, teaching, reading, etc. for a blog that I do (I have posted some of our stuff here before) and will continue doing so, but she likes to do this stuff when my 18 month old is napping if I don't have an art project planned, or if I let her stay up a little later than her brother if she's had a good day and only if she's laying down in bed next to me in the dark while I'm reading on my laptop sometimes.
Well, I'd love to get her a tablet of some kind for her 4th birthday in February to install some educational games, apps, and books for her for these times that she would be allowed to use it. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire HD to share with mommy. She would get her own profile on it because I have read that you can set a profile for each of your kid's and only allow them to access what you put on that profile for them. They are only like $100 more than one of those LeapFrog tablets and it would obviously be for me too, not just hers to do whatever and whenever she wanted with it. I've read that the LeapFrog tablets are easily outgrown because the games are easy to master and the games themselves are expensive, whereas I can get free apps or purchase cheaper ones on the Kindle Fire so that when she outgrows whatever game, app, book that is on it can be replaced with something different. I know that might make me crazy, but I don't see the harm in it. I just never thought I would be "one of those moms" who bought them something like this!

RobynS
by Robyn on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I don't think you're crazy. If you have the budget for it and you trust her with something that expensive, go for it. It would be crazy for ME to buy something like that, but it's WAY outside of our budget.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)