Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I never thought I would be "one of those moms"

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently, in the last week or two, I have introduced my 3.5 year old to my phone to play games or color or whatever. I've never let her before. She is so good with all of this! I do a lot of home play, teaching, reading, etc. for a blog that I do (I have posted some of our stuff here before) and will continue doing so, but she likes to do this stuff when my 18 month old is napping if I don't have an art project planned, or if I let her stay up a little later than her brother if she's had a good day and only if she's laying down in bed next to me in the dark while I'm reading on my laptop sometimes.
Well, I'd love to get her a tablet of some kind for her 4th birthday in February to install some educational games, apps, and books for her for these times that she would be allowed to use it. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire HD to share with mommy. She would get her own profile on it because I have read that you can set a profile for each of your kid's and only allow them to access what you put on that profile for them. They are only like $100 more than one of those LeapFrog tablets and it would obviously be for me too, not just hers to do whatever and whenever she wanted with it. I've read that the LeapFrog tablets are easily outgrown because the games are easy to master and the games themselves are expensive, whereas I can get free apps or purchase cheaper ones on the Kindle Fire so that when she outgrows whatever game, app, book that is on it can be replaced with something different. I know that might make me crazy, but I don't see the harm in it. I just never thought I would be "one of those moms" who bought them something like this!

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (21-30):
Kazoo22
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I think getting the kindle fire is a good idea. My dd is 3 and at first we thought about getting leap pad stuff for her, but we were also looking at the kindle fire and other tablets too. Luckily her daddy won a ipad from a raffle at work and in retrospect I think it's worked out a whole lot better than if we had purchased her a leap pad, because eventually she will outgrow the leap pad, but with the tablet you can just find new apps which are often free to put on there when you let her use it. Also, it's nice to have a tablet that we can use as well.  

momof3jam
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I didn't know I was looked at as "one of those moms", wow.

I don't see the big deal.

ihave1
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I wont let my daughter play on my phone, her papa's IPad or his phone. So I brought her a leapfrog thingie, it's just like an IPad, but for kids her age. She is two by the way.

furbabymum
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I always wonder how parents do this. Do they not link their credit card? You'd have to not link your credit card or you kid can buy all sorts of things by accident (or purpose).

I have a kindle fire and I do have things on it for my soon to be 2 year old. We use them at restaurants or at the Dr.'s office to keep him calm and occupied. It's MY kindle though. I use it to read my books and he simply gets use of it when needed. I'm not sure I'd buy them one that is for them. Seems a bit crazy.

coala
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM

We have one that our girls use.  They have to take turns and they have to have earned the privlilege to use it.  I didn't want to be "one of those moms" either.  My girls do educational stuff on the media player.  I don't have anything on the desktop that I don't want them to have access too.  It is that simple.  They don't know how to navigate it so well that they can find the apps that are hidden.  I have downloaded a ton of books to it too.  So, now they can use it to read as well.

Snapdragon88
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Our children are going to grow up in a very technological age. Keeping them away from technology will only hinder them these days. They're even using tablets in schools now.

That being said... the time spent playing with them should be limited. Nothing beats fresh air and physical activity :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  My daughter does not even use apps on my phone on a daily basis.  Most of the time I have a project or homeschool preschool to finish during her brother's nap and she is only allowed to stay up 30 minutes later than her brother on an occasional basis when she's had a really good day and will just lay next to me.  Those are the only times she gets to use my phone and it will be the same when she gets a tablet of some sort, whatever I decide on. :P

Quoting Snapdragon88:

Our children are going to grow up in a very technological age. Keeping them away from technology will only hinder them these days. They're even using tablets in schools now.

That being said... the time spent playing with them should be limited. Nothing beats fresh air and physical activity :)

jlbelknap35
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM
My 3 year old has his own iPad, he has the ipad1, I have the ipad2, and DH has the iPad3. He learned how to work it when he was one so when we got ourselves new iPads we passed it down to him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lish2127
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I have to agree about the Leapster products. My son outgrew it so quickly because the games were too simple and it really doesn't do anything. You have to keep purchasing leaplet app things or expensive games, and it keeps telling you to connect it to your computer. My daughter liked it though from age 2-4.  My son enjoys using our tablet and as of now he is content with the free apps to download.

Oceana09
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I know my grandpa wants to get DD a Ipad 2 for her for Christmas (She's 4.5) and I told him that if he's going to get her anything I would prefer it either be the Kindle or the LeapPad 2. I got told I'm overreacting. She's 4.5. I want her to have a learning pad of some sort, but she doesn't need an Ipad 2. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN