Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I never thought I would be "one of those moms"

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently, in the last week or two, I have introduced my 3.5 year old to my phone to play games or color or whatever. I've never let her before. She is so good with all of this! I do a lot of home play, teaching, reading, etc. for a blog that I do (I have posted some of our stuff here before) and will continue doing so, but she likes to do this stuff when my 18 month old is napping if I don't have an art project planned, or if I let her stay up a little later than her brother if she's had a good day and only if she's laying down in bed next to me in the dark while I'm reading on my laptop sometimes.
Well, I'd love to get her a tablet of some kind for her 4th birthday in February to install some educational games, apps, and books for her for these times that she would be allowed to use it. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire HD to share with mommy. She would get her own profile on it because I have read that you can set a profile for each of your kid's and only allow them to access what you put on that profile for them. They are only like $100 more than one of those LeapFrog tablets and it would obviously be for me too, not just hers to do whatever and whenever she wanted with it. I've read that the LeapFrog tablets are easily outgrown because the games are easy to master and the games themselves are expensive, whereas I can get free apps or purchase cheaper ones on the Kindle Fire so that when she outgrows whatever game, app, book that is on it can be replaced with something different. I know that might make me crazy, but I don't see the harm in it. I just never thought I would be "one of those moms" who bought them something like this!

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (31-40):
momofnate0707
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:16 PM

My 5yo got a Nook Color for Christmas last year (he was 4 then). He loves it and can play all his games on it. We are actually getting our 2yo dd a Nabi 2 tablet for Christmas this year. She plays on my kindle fire. She knows where the games are and how to open and close them. I don't let them play whenever they want. There are limits, but it is good for them when we are on long trips or stuck in traffic, at the dr, or somewhere where they can't run around. 
Their favorite app on the kindle and the nook is a storybook app. It reads them books while showing the picture. The child is in control of turning the page. 

LoriDeen
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM

JoanahLee, I have to ask you, what is the story behind the dog in your profile pic? The photo is hysterical!

Quoting JoanahLee:

I have a nook color that I seldom use now that I have a tablet.  I let our 3 year old play on it on long road trips.  I was never going to be that parent either... but i have learned to stop saying that! LOL

I think if you are going to get a digital whatever for your kid a multi use tablet is way better than a kid specific thing like the leap pad. 

Even tho we let him play with my nook, its still mine.  I want him to feel like he is borrowing my toy and has to return it when his time is up.  I think 3 is too young to have your own expensive electronics. 

RedheadMama18
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I think it's a good idea!  Especially since it sounds like you monitor her use with games and don't just have it as a "babysitter". 

LizzieAnnesMom
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I was looking into the kindle fire, but I decided to get the iPad. The educational apps on the iPad are FAR better than any app you could get on the Fire. If money is an issue get the iPad Mini.

nikki4eva88
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:13 PM
I got my 3.5 year old a Nabi and she loves it! It can also grow with her.
jpalmer
We bought our boys the nabi 2 for christmas...it's for any age and has a parental cloud that keeps little ones where they are supposed to be at instead of free surffing the internet...plus it has bumpers so if it drops then it will be protected...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard

I don't think this is what you think it is. We bought this for my son, it pretty much says the letters or if you move the mouse it plays music or animal sounds.. That's it. It comes with a chord so you can "customize" it but the only customizing it does is say their name and you can pick which songs it plays. That's it. 

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

Okay, I had to print screen it because it wouldn't let me save the picture to my computer.

This is what I'm talking about.

jamamama00

All three of mine have their own Ipad! We got our tween one first, then noticed how much our four year-old could use it, then got the baby one, too. They can use it to color or watch movies with while we are on car trips, waiting at the doctor's, etc. My own mother was a hippie nut who said "no" to everything cool (Nintendo, etc) and it totally backfired on her. There is a huge difference in using them for the right reasons and the wrong ones...

texasma06
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM
I have a kindle fire. Plus an iPhone. The only games she gets are educational plus coloring. And she has a lot of books that are just hers. She has an iPod at her grandparents that she only uses 30 minutes a day. Her use on mine is very limited as well. She spends more time playing outside then on my phone or fire. Plus both are very handy since we spend way to much time at the doctor or er.
xoxRachelxox
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks.
They may still enjoy that though. They are learning the sounds of letters and letter recognition.

Quoting angela.bouchard:

I don't think this is what you think it is. We bought this for my son, it pretty much says the letters or if you move the mouse it plays music or animal sounds.. That's it. It comes with a chord so you can "customize" it but the only customizing it does is say their name and you can pick which songs it plays. That's it. 

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

Okay, I had to print screen it because it wouldn't let me save the picture to my computer.

This is what I'm talking about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN