Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I never thought I would be "one of those moms"

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently, in the last week or two, I have introduced my 3.5 year old to my phone to play games or color or whatever. I've never let her before. She is so good with all of this! I do a lot of home play, teaching, reading, etc. for a blog that I do (I have posted some of our stuff here before) and will continue doing so, but she likes to do this stuff when my 18 month old is napping if I don't have an art project planned, or if I let her stay up a little later than her brother if she's had a good day and only if she's laying down in bed next to me in the dark while I'm reading on my laptop sometimes.
Well, I'd love to get her a tablet of some kind for her 4th birthday in February to install some educational games, apps, and books for her for these times that she would be allowed to use it. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire HD to share with mommy. She would get her own profile on it because I have read that you can set a profile for each of your kid's and only allow them to access what you put on that profile for them. They are only like $100 more than one of those LeapFrog tablets and it would obviously be for me too, not just hers to do whatever and whenever she wanted with it. I've read that the LeapFrog tablets are easily outgrown because the games are easy to master and the games themselves are expensive, whereas I can get free apps or purchase cheaper ones on the Kindle Fire so that when she outgrows whatever game, app, book that is on it can be replaced with something different. I know that might make me crazy, but I don't see the harm in it. I just never thought I would be "one of those moms" who bought them something like this!

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (41-50):
eevers55
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I have a few apps on my Kindle Fire for my 18 month old. Whenever there are free apps, I check em out and get ones that she'd like. They are GREAT for doctor waiting rooms, especially when I'm the one needing to see the doc and DH has to entertain our daughter for upwards of an hour. We've also downloaded music for her for long car rides, which she absolutely loves. She loves the interactive books like Peter Rabbit and Charlie Brown. I think as long as you're limiting the time she spends on it, then it's fantastic. The world is becomming more and more run on technology, and I think by the time they are grown, they'd be at a disadvantage to not at least learn how to work technology at a young age.

Marz31
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I've had a Kindle Fire for a year and the apps DD uses (she turned 4 last month) are great. I'd never really considered one of the learning tablets until my dad asked if I thought my daughter might like one. SHE LOVES IT! we got the Innotab2 and it's hers, it has games, a camera, plays her videos (the Leappad2 does not) and it's durable. I really didn't get it, but I totally do now. there's nothing she can do on there that would be an issue and she doesn't have to be careful with it. once you buy an otterbox or life proof for the regular tablet, you're looking at the price of the learning tablet anyway. the games are 3-5 bucks for download and the carts are jam-packed with games, books and all kinds of stuff (not just one little game). I dunno, before my dad suggested it, I was kind of hoping to upgrade to the new Kindle Fire HD, which I Really don't need, but now I'll be quite happy with my kindle  and she now has her own that works great for her!

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

There are more durable, plastic machines that have children educational things on it that teach reading, etc.  Kids drop things and the Kindle or the laptop are too fragile to be dropped here and there. 

Dabberdoo
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

The upside to buying a child computer is they aren't easily broken.  I can't imagine handing my child a $200 piece of electronics and expecting it to stay safe.  Accidents happen.  There are many children's electronic toys out there that don't break the bank and are super sturdy.  With all that said, its your money and your child and I don't care how you spend your money!

Dabberdoo
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:52 PM

And, btw, we ALL become "that mom" in some way when it comes to our children.  We all end up doing things we thought we would NEVER do before we had children and knew everything there was to know about raising them.

AlwaysKISA
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Get her the nabi!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fyrestar68
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM
I think it's ok, as long as you aren't using it to "babysit" your child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Clubpenguin
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM
My dd plays on our iPhones and I pads
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I'm that mom too : )

workingmommy87
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I gt my six year old a kindle fire for christmas last year. It was great! now, there only $150. I got the protective plan, but still she is not allwoed to leave the house with it. (she has a mobi go for carrides) those leapfrog tablets are over priced and eaasily outgrown. The games are about $15 each! In my town a lot of kids have ipads,but I couldn't bring myself to buy someone so young something so expendsive (even with my mom offering half the money).

I dunno about the different profiles. I wasn't aware. I don't make her share her gift. I have been dropping hints to SO about me wanting one( not getting hopes up lol) I say def go for it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)