Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I never thought I would be "one of those moms"

Posted by   + Show Post

Recently, in the last week or two, I have introduced my 3.5 year old to my phone to play games or color or whatever. I've never let her before. She is so good with all of this! I do a lot of home play, teaching, reading, etc. for a blog that I do (I have posted some of our stuff here before) and will continue doing so, but she likes to do this stuff when my 18 month old is napping if I don't have an art project planned, or if I let her stay up a little later than her brother if she's had a good day and only if she's laying down in bed next to me in the dark while I'm reading on my laptop sometimes.
Well, I'd love to get her a tablet of some kind for her 4th birthday in February to install some educational games, apps, and books for her for these times that she would be allowed to use it. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire HD to share with mommy. She would get her own profile on it because I have read that you can set a profile for each of your kid's and only allow them to access what you put on that profile for them. They are only like $100 more than one of those LeapFrog tablets and it would obviously be for me too, not just hers to do whatever and whenever she wanted with it. I've read that the LeapFrog tablets are easily outgrown because the games are easy to master and the games themselves are expensive, whereas I can get free apps or purchase cheaper ones on the Kindle Fire so that when she outgrows whatever game, app, book that is on it can be replaced with something different. I know that might make me crazy, but I don't see the harm in it. I just never thought I would be "one of those moms" who bought them something like this!

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (91-95):
Shelly126
by Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM
I have twin 23 month old boys and they LOVE my iPad! They have learned so much by us using it together, they can count to 20, know all the letters of the alphabet and know lots of shapes including octagon, hexagon and rhombus!
We are planning on getting them each the nabi 2 for their birthday next month, they will still be supervised and limited with usage but let's face it they are going to be 2, there is ALOT of grabbing and unnecessary finger swipes on my iPad, something like that is much too delicate for their age. I was considering the kindle fire, but I think the nabi 2 looks more durable and I'm sure it will be able to take them through a few years.
lambdarose
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I love technology and I love that my daughter knows so much also. her newest favorite thing to do is youtube and watch videos and alot of times they are in different languages. I think it's a great tool to give to our children considering its going to be part of their lives. It's just the way their live will be. I think if is more economical to purchase  that instead of the tablet for children,  it's better to just go with the one that is the best choice for everyone.  I am looking into one for christmas considering I have a iphone already and need something for long trips and she loves it and its benefiting her with her education.

lamekaj
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM
As I shop for Christmas I had the same debate and decided on a tablet over a leap pad for my 5 year old. I too was concerned about her outgrowing the leap pad and was attracted to free or low cost apps on a tablet.
emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM

i want to get our dd a leappad for christmas

JaelynS
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Ethan is 4 years and 4 months. He has a smartphone, a 3ds, a wii, a ps3, a laptop, and for christmas is getting a tablet, and a new 32" hd flat screen tv. and a wii u if we can't get out hands on one

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN