Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

takes over an hour to sleep!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM
  • 18 Replies
Hello ladie! This post isn't designed for others to put down my parenting techniques or tell me what I'm doing wrong In their opinion. this is just me asking everyone if theyve been through similar phases, if so what caused it and how long it lasted. I'll admit that most sleep techniques aren't the same as ours so it may be hard to compare but every toddler sleeps, naps and fusses and a lot of moms have been through similar situations. Okay, here it goes:

My son is 15 months old, he sleeps in bed between daddy and I, uses a white noise machine and swaddle still, and I nurse him to sleep half the time. Since six weeks old he's slept through the night and taken 2 naps a day, until recently he dropped one nap (a few days a week he naps twice). The last couple weeks hes been taking forever to fall asleep at night AND for naps. I Completely understand the whole 'toddlers don't wana miss anything and will fight the sleep as best they can' thing. BUT it seems like this is over the top. He'll be SO ready for bed and well do his routine, then swaddle him and nurse or sing gently in bed. Sometimes (like right now exactly) hell be perfectly content with laying here being held , like not fussing, but he won't fall asleep! (We've been laying here for an hour!) Then other times he's completely ready for bed or nap and once were settled into bed he'll be calm and almost asleep fairly quickly , then suddenly hell flip a shit and wriggle and squirm and bust out of the swaddle (which is only his legs anyways anymore) and well have to repeat the swaddle and sing ten times before he falls asleep. And yes a lot of times we get up and play some more to see if he has more energy pent up, but most times this will just lead to whiney fussiness, not wanting to be put down OR picked up for that matter, so we KNOW he's tired. Today is bas though cuz he's been awake since 3AM which is highly unusual. I do two paper routes every morning at 3 AM and he sleeps in the carseat until I'm done and back home by 6AM. We've done this for a year and a half and only every once in awhile hell wake up during and ill either nurse him back to sleep or sit with him and play while daddy drives. (Daddy works construction full time but recently picked up his own paper route for the extra cash every week, one of the two neighborhoods I deliver to needed a delivery driver for the Plain Dealer, which is the paper for our neighboring county, so since I already did that area for OUR countys newspaper company, it worked out perfect cuz I was already driving there ). Anyways, today he woke up. He's been awake ever since. I'm exhausted and hubbys at work and moms at a vet appointment . Ugh. He literally just fell asleep while I typed this.
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobynS
by Robyn on Nov. 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Is he getting more teeth? Sometimes teething messes up their sleep patterns.

My kids have had sleep trouble off and on (and *I* have horrible trouble sleeping!). I have given them chamomile or valerian to help them sleep. Both are natural and come in little bottles with droppers. You can give it to them plain or mix it into a drink.

Good luck, mama!

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting RobynS:

Is he getting more teeth? Sometimes teething messes up their sleep patterns.

My kids have had sleep trouble off and on (and *I* have horrible trouble sleeping!). I have given them chamomile or valerian to help them sleep. Both are natural and come in little bottles with droppers. You can give it to them plain or mix it into a drink.

Good luck, mama!

Yeah he has been sprouting his two newest teeth for a few weeks now but I honestly keep dismissing that theory cuz usually its soo obvious when he's teething bad enough to disrupt his sleep. Hell cry really hard and nothing soothes him until the tablets kick in along with a frozen wash cloth. But I will try that chamomile because awhile back another ma told me she used it for her kids. Thanks so much for the advice and luck! :)
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Both of my boys went through stages where it was harder to get them to sleep.  Just like most things, there wasn't a cause--it just happened.  Since my boys slept in cribs in their own room at that age, they couldn't put up much of a fight--I would put them in, shut the door and let them do what they wanted, as long as it was quiet.  When they figured out that they wouldn't get out, they stopped and went to sleep.

tezell78
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 7:56 AM
My ds stopped sleeping when he was teething, when he learned how to walk when he had his eye surgery, when he started talking. Any major mile stone, and I can bank on getting very little sleep.......
The rocking chair, and chammomile tea are my best friends, when they fail, I live on coffee and red bull for school........good luck mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM

when he wakes up, don't play.  that's just waking him up more.  keep the  lights off, whispers only.  night is for sleep, not play.  

also, maybe he's just not comfortable anymore in a swaddle. that's typically only for newborns but at 15mos, that's like being tangled up in sheets.  maybe you can switch him to a sleep sack or grobag?  those are very warm if you're concerned about keeping him warm and gives him plenty of room to move his arms and legs when he's asleep.  

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM

when he dropped a nap did you move bed time to earlier?

babowes
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Is it pitch black in the room????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Try stopping the swaddle???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy1763
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM
My dd is 14 months and she has always slept well at night although her naps alternate in the day. Since around 4 or 5 months she would sometimes take 1 or 2 naps, just depending on the day and how she was feeling. She has 12 teeth so the real trouble with teething, and sleeping, begaan with her molars. We had to use motrin to help with those and her sleeping habits really changed. She would wake in the night. I had to hold her to get her to sleep. Now if shes really tired we just put her in her crib. She cries for about 20 seconds and then she is out. Good luck .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Quoting tezell78:

My ds stopped sleeping when he was teething, when he learned how to walk when he had his eye surgery, when he started talking. Any major mile stone, and I can bank on getting very little sleep.......
The rocking chair, and chammomile tea are my best friends, when they fail, I live on coffee and red bull for school........good luck mama.

Haha sheesh so pretty much this is normal, is what you're saying right? Yay! Looks like espresso will be my best friend cuz coffee doesn't even wake me up unless its from a certain place. I gotta try chamomille tea!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)