Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training boys

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM
  • 11 Replies
Hi, my name is Jen. I am new to this group. I have 2 children. Ds is 8 and ds is 3 (will be 4 in Jan).
When dd was being potty trained it took forever and I figured it was because we pushed her into it. We started training at 2 and she was fully potty trained at 3 1/2.
With ds I decided he would be the one to make the decision on when he would be trained. For the last year he has been in pull ups and we would ask him if he had to go. Several weeks ago I was getting things ready to give him a bath and he sat on his potty and went. Of course I thought he was ready. Well after that he refused to go near his potty.
This week I decided he was going to be trained whether he liked it or not. We started Thursday afternoon and at first it was hard but since then he is getting it. He is in his big boy underwear all day and in his pull ups at night.
My question though is how do you get little boys to push their penis down so the urine goes in the potty and not all over themselves? We do have the guard for the potty but ds takes it off because it scratches him.

Thanks and sorry if this is long!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Those guards are pretty worthless. They are in the way and make a mess. I would just tell him to push it down himself or scoot him back enough that it goes straight in.  When he is ready you can start training him to stand at the big potty and that will help. Good luck!

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Besides telling him to push it down, you can have him stand up and hold on to the back of the toilet. That'll make him lean and he'll be naturally pointing it down. Or have him aim for Cheerios.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM
I have three boys (2 potty trained). I always told them to push it down when they are sitting on the toilet. I agree that holding onto the back while standing works too. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Hi Jen.  Welcome to the group. :) He's at the age where you can just explain to him that he needs to push his penis toward the bottom of the toilet bowl so he doesn't get pee everywhere.  OR he is also at the age where he might be interested in learning to stand.  When I worked in child care, when the boys were ready to stand (some of them didn't want to sit from the very beginning even), we had a stool where they stood up, lifted the toilet seat, and leaned over the toilet holding onto the toilet seat so that their penis was hanging over the toilet bowl so when they peed, the urine would just go into the toilet bowl.  Of course hands were washed afterward. :)

PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

My son is almost 3 and has only been in underwear for about 3 weeks now.  He stands and knows that he has to lean on the back of the seat or hold and aim.  There have been some "spraying" incidents where he thought it was hilarious to shower the whole toilet, walls and floor but I started having him clean it up and he is getting much better already.  I have a feeling though that this is a long journey of yucky toilets.  Good luck!

jlm2676
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Thanks ladies! I see if dh wants to do the stand up training when he gets home and get ds to start holding his penis down.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Teach him to pee standing up. He will have to use a stool. And tell him to hold it down with his finger to make the pee go in the potty.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM

yeah, those guards suck!  we actually trained my son on the adult potty.  i had him straddle the seat at the back and then lean forward with his hands on the front so he was automatically aimed down.  if we were out in public, i would just pick him up and have him lean over the toilet.  so he was aimed right that way too.  he started standing about 2 months after he trained and then he would lean forward and put his hands on the back of the toilet to aim down.

sweetjpea
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM
I tell my son to make bubbles. So he always goes in the water so he can make bubbles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Ds pees standing up. But if he isn't paying attention to what he's doing he gets it everywhere. I just have him hold it and aim for the toilet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)