Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

At what age did you introduce fish to your child? My son is 16mo. and I have yet to give him any fish.

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Replies (21-30):
babowes
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM
No pets here. Buti fish bowl might be ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Sometime shortly after 6 months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Quoting corrinacs:

Well, I'd say go for it, but they just introduced a story today linking fish given too early to childhood asthma :/.  With a kid with asthma, you don't want that :/.

PLEASE re-read the article it says the exact OPPOSITE that fish given between 6 months and a yr seems to maybe protect from asthma

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I stand corrected LOL.  I was reading it in passing....badly stated headlines.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting corrinacs:

Well, I'd say go for it, but they just introduced a story today linking fish given too early to childhood asthma :/.  With a kid with asthma, you don't want that :/.

PLEASE re-read the article it says the exact OPPOSITE that fish given between 6 months and a yr seems to maybe protect from asthma

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I AGREE :) It is interesting that many studies are coming out showing that because we maybe wait too long to introduce certain foods that may be why allergies and such are at an all time high.

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting corrinacs:

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I know.  It makes a parent like me (both of my kids have a ton of food allergies and asthma) like crap to be honest.  How am I supposed to keep up with all of this :/.  My next child is going ot be adopted....I guess I have bad genes or something haha.  I have chosen to ignore it and follow my doctor's recommendations....seems like no matter waht I do, my children are doomed.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I AGREE :) It is interesting that many studies are coming out showing that because we maybe wait too long to introduce certain foods that may be why allergies and such are at an all time high.

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting corrinacs:

michiganmom5150
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Probably 18 months or so. We don't eat it much...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lizzys_mommy13
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM

My daughter was 18 months or so the first time she had anything other than tuna. I think she was 13 or 14 months when I gave her her first tunafish sandwich. 

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I think we just need to do our research and decide for ourselves.  I will tell you that I did babyled weaning with my fourth and the things she will eat....the things she enjoys and asks for...her eating habits overall are miles ahead of my other three.  i wish I had know about it before and not fallen victim as many of us have to big corps "baby food" bullshit. She never had a puree and she started eating finger foods at about 7.5 months.  Looking back I originally felt the same way you do about how i fed them but I try to remember we do the best we can with the info we have at the time.  

Quoting corrinacs:

I know.  It makes a parent like me (both of my kids have a ton of food allergies and asthma) like crap to be honest.  How am I supposed to keep up with all of this :/.  My next child is going ot be adopted....I guess I have bad genes or something haha.  I have chosen to ignore it and follow my doctor's recommendations....seems like no matter waht I do, my children are doomed.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting corrinacs:

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I didn't know about BLW with my first, but I did with my second.  I tried nad tried and tried with him......but as it turns out he has severe texture sensitivities (associated with his food allergies).  So, the doctors said "feed him what he likes"....becasue if we nudge at his gag reflex, he's not going ot want to eat.....and boy were they right  :/.  We started off BLW with him at 6 months.  And he gagged every time.  We waited a few more months....he gagged everytime :/.  Finally, I said to heck with it and gave him purees....he sucked it up like it was going out of style.  He also really likes moist breads, so I am finding recipes now for breads that are safe for him.

At a year old, he was barely eating any type of food :/.  He's being tested for EoE in the next few months to hopefully explain all of this :/. 

So, IMO, along the research, we need to do what's best for our children.  Purees aren't totally bad anyway....you can always sneak them into breads and stuff ;).  And besides, my 5yo won't eat a lot of veggies (well, most he's allergic to and the others have weird textgures to him too) but he will suck a pouch dry LOL.  Not saying that's a good thing....but at least he's getting his veggies in.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I think we just need to do our research and decide for ourselves.  I will tell you that I did babyled weaning with my fourth and the things she will eat....the things she enjoys and asks for...her eating habits overall are miles ahead of my other three.  i wish I had know about it before and not fallen victim as many of us have to big corps "baby food" bullshit. She never had a puree and she started eating finger foods at about 7.5 months.  Looking back I originally felt the same way you do about how i fed them but I try to remember we do the best we can with the info we have at the time.  

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting corrinacs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)