Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

my 3 yr old has discovered my make up, so i showed her  on myself where lipstick goes,and eyeshadow ect she wanted to wear it, which i know is perfectly normal, hubby flatout refused to let me put make up on her and i put it away which made her run screaming to her room so whos right???????????

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Replies (11-20):
.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM

i would talk to him and find out his reasoning and try to get on the same page about it or compromise.

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM
pretend to put it on her w the lids on the eyeliner and mascara and use new or clean brushes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I dont let my girls wear it.  There is no need for it.  I want them to stay little girls forever :(

The only day of the year they get to is Halloween.  They are perfectly ok with that.  

eevers55
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:57 AM

My 18 month old pretends to put on makeup, but I just give her a clean brush and she wipes it on her cheeks and eyes. I'd never put real makeup on her, one. because she's too young for a long while yet and two. her skin is so pretty and delicate, i don't want a reaction or anything.

I think pretending is just fine though. Every child should be allowed to do that much at least. Just compromise and let her go through the motions without ever actually putting makeup on

ninagoesnuts
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I think men tend to associate make-up with sexuality. It is a simple misunderstanding. It is normal for children to explore adulthood by playing dress-up. He probably wouldn't have a problem with her playing dress-up in a doctor's coat and pretend stethoscope. She is not going to develop a disorder where she believes she is a doctor because she dresses up as one, and she is not going to go out and start flirting with boys because she is dressing up in mommy's make-up. I do think it's important to acknowledge your husband's fears and put them into words so that he can understand why he feels so strongly about it. It may be that once he puts some thought into it, he will realize that his fears are unfounded and will back off a bit.

athompson2189
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM

SHES 3!!! perfectly normal!!! a girl has to explore and play dress up!! =) as long as your helping her and shes not painting the walls with lip stick i dont see the big deal!!! shes a princess mommy!!!

Truly Grateful , For each and every day!!!

MooreMom523
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:54 AM
I would just talk with my hubby about it and find a compromise. Playing dress up and wanting to be like mommy is the same for a little girl as doing things to be like daddy would be for a little boy. You can always just give her an empty brush so she can pretend to put her makeup on with you. My 20 month old loves to play with the brushes and she wears Chapstick and thinks its fun..part of a game and being like mommy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Well, it depends on how you look at it.  For the most part, out in public she's too young IMO.  But on a mommy indoor day, I think it coudl be might cute :).

I did find this cute thing on Pinterest that might be the "best of both worlds"

http://kerraftycreations.blogspot.ca/2012/02/pretend-make-up-from-nail-polish.html

TabM
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I don't see the harm in playing dress up at home would be. I wouldn't send her to preschool or anything with make up on but at home for play I don't think is a big deal.

PEEK05
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM

My mom put eyeshadow on my 3.5 year old for about five minutes.  She wanted some on so she put a little bit on and then when my mom put it away, we cleaned her face off.  I don't wear makeup at home, but my mom wears eyeshadow lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)