Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Losing my mind over potty training my almost 4yo

Posted by   + Show Post
I've tried everything with him. Sitting him on it every 15 mins, which he does ok with and will pee in the potty but doesn't care. Tried pull ups, he will pee and poo in them... Even tried outside with nothing and it doesn't bother him for pee to run down his leg or go on his feet. I've tried bribery, rewards... Threats... Working with friends of his for maybe peer pressure... He doesn't care at all. I let him pick out big boy underwear and he was excited but apparently not enough. If I'm cooking dinner or something he won't even tell me when he poops, I have to check or smell it if his butt gets red. I'm losing my mind and I'm tired if people making me feel like I'm a horrible mother because of this. If I have to hear one more person tell me their kid was potty trained by 1 1/2 I'm gonna vomit.

Any tips? Ideas? Something I haven't tried?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
bloodytears1986
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh momma I'm on the same boat as you. My dd is 4 and is not potty trained. I can't even get her to sit on the potty. I'm at my wits end. I've tried everything like u and nothing works. And boy do I agree with all the people who criticize u. I hear it on a daily basis from my in laws. It makes me feel like a bad mother. If u find something that works let me know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Snakecharmer76
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm in the same boat as you! My 3 year old dd is just ridiculously stubborn and I've tried different tactics. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only mom dealing with this. It just seems that I always hear about other kids potty training by the time they are 2 and I feel like a failure because my daughter is so not interested!

PEEK05
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Sorry :( I didn't have these issues but here's a bump.  I hope you find something that works!

calvinsmommy18
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Truthfully my ds would not potty train til he was ready. We tried just about everything. But finally right around the time his sister was born in January he decided he wanted to use the potty all the time. He would even take himself. So he was 3yrs 8 months when he was finally potty trained. We still put him in pullups overnight. Some mornings he's dry and some not. I'm just glad we got him mostly out of diapers when his sister was born.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like hes stubborn just dont stop and be positive about it NEVER negative !!! Don't go back to diapers ever and no pull ups its just like a diaper just get loads of regular underwear and just let him wear them no pants and he will eventually get the point. Make a HUGE fuss over when he does pee or poo on the potty or even tells you he has to go let him get a treat and make it a huge deal and make him feel great tell him how happy it makes you etc.!! He will get it dont worry keep trying dont give up! Get books about it and pull ups actually mails you a free dvd if you go on their site and ask for one, watch it every day and read the books every day he will get it dont worry GDLK!!!

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM
2 moms liked this

i didn't mention it in my reply but my son was 3 1/2 and my DD was 2 years 9 months.  I have never understood why some people get so worked up over potty training.  it's just pee and poop for crying out loud!!!  common sense tells me that your child will NOT graduate high school in a diaper and no employer asks for your potty training age when interviewing you for a job.  18 months or 4 1/2, the outcome is all the same.

follow your son's path, not sally's from the supermaket :)  hang in there!

Quoting kelly24019:

Thanks guys, I'll try some of those things. Makes me feel better to see not all kids are perfectly trained by 2.

newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I know how you feel my DD 3 days before her 3rd birthday decide she wanted to start using the potty..I don't even have to go with her anymore..She just said Mom I got this go downstairs please LOL I still wipe her after # 2 because shes not old enough to do that without making a mess..She only wears pullups at night because shes not night trained yet she will be 3 1/2 next month..Just try not to push your child the more you stress and push the issues the child will not want too.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
mamalusbear
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM

It sounds like maybe he's just not ready.  Don't worry it'll happen...you're doing your best, it's all you can do.

mommameli06
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:48 AM

OH MY GOODNESS i am totally in the same boat with you and the other ladies on here agreeing with you my son will be 4 next feb and i have tried alot of what you have done and he just wont either i have even let him sit on the potty for a hr with books and toys to play with and he still wont go till he gets a dipaer or pull up on another thing is sometimes he says hes scared not sure what of maybe of what itll sound like coming out in a potty idk but either way yeah and i hate hearing the whole trained by 2 crap ahhh my youngest just turned 3 and we just got her pee and almost poo trained and thats just for during the day she still wears a diaper to bed its hard stuff thanks for posting this so the rest of us along with you know were not the only ones and like the others if you find anything that truly works i wanna know lol!!

FarmGirl2B
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM
My son will turn 4 in Feb and will NOT use the potty. He was doing well at the beginning of the summer, but once he started speech therapy it was a no go. I also am at my wits end, as I have an almost 2 yr old and one due in Feb. I cannot afford 3 kids in diapers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)