Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rec me your most obnoxious talking or musical toys?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM
  • 17 Replies

Kind of a weird request, I know! Most people want to avoid that stuff.

Our new LO is 2 years, 8 months and will be coming home from China in early December. Obviously, she will know no English, and even I, motormouth, cannot talk to her 24.7. So I'm looking for interactive, jabbering, singing, talking toys for her. Her foster family there has said in their letters that she is very talkative and on-track for a child her age, which is great news! I just want to immerse her in English and take advantage of this learning window so that it's easy on her, and I'm thinking interactive learning toys will be a great aid in that.

What are or were your favorites (or the bane of your existence) for 18mo-3 year olds or so? We ordered LeapFrog's Lavender dog, but other than that we're not sure what's noise-making plastic junk and what will actually interact with her, having never had a toddler before.

Thanks in advance!

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM

PBS channel has some great programs for children..I don't know where you live but it's one of our local children's channels

Vhx
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Kinda looking for things that aren't screens...

Katt709
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

the laugh and learn tables are great. 

Vhx
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Thanks! I'll look into them.

Quoting Katt709:

the laugh and learn tables are great. 

Jasuzha
by Janet on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Laugh and Learn Puppy in any style is great. They're very sensitive. Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube is fun. Target and Melissa and Doug make puzzles that make noises for each puzzle piece.Fisher Price's Laugh and Learn toys are great. My son has the laptop. It teaches letters, numbers, shapes, colors, and a little Spanish. It also plays music.
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM

The Fisher Price puppy.  They have a dancing version now too. There is one in commercials that teaches you to clap and things like that. It is really annoying but is kind of like Violet (the leap frog dog).  

Maybe a learning table?

Vtech has a learn to dress toy.  Of course she already knows how to get dressed but it would help teach her English words for her clothes.  

Just go wander around the toy section and try out some toys.  I bought DS the Vtech robot Cogsley for Christmas.  He seemed to like it in the store.  It has a little more advanced activities, considering my son will be 18 months for Christmas, but I like getting things he can grow a little with.

http://www.vtechkids.com/product/detail/12391/Cogsley

Most of the toys I have seen pretty much do all the same things but in different ways.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Fisher price piggy bank, tea party set. We have a drum (I think it's fisher price) that says the abc's. that's all I can think of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rriley
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM
I just got my kids a tag from leapfrog and they love it. There is a tag junior that looked really cute and had cute books to go with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vhx
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions! So helpful, I appreciate it very much!

I've browsed the Toys R Us store, but it's so overwhelming and as I said, I have little expereince with kids this age, so I'm not sure what a 2 year old would like.

I do know I'm going to have to get another Baby Butterscotch toy though. M (my 9 year old) has been super helper setting all the battery toys up and programming them if needed, and ended up falling in love with the little thing herself, LOL! I have to admit it's cute as anything.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM
I think any leapfrog toy and their DVDs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)