Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's That Time Of Year Again *PIOG*

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM
  • 23 Replies

My daughter attends a prek program (and my youngest at a daycare facility she's 18 mths). I need some moderately cheap things I can get the teachers. My youngest has 3 teachers that care for her, and my oldest has 2. I do teach a prek class but most of my parents give me 20 dollar gift cards (that's usually almost every kid in my class every year). I cannot afford a 20$ gift card for 5 teachers and I want something more personal than that.

Any ideas?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM

You could have your kids make them Christmas ornaments. I saw a recipe that you make and bake like cookies, then have the children paint them. You can put their names and the year on the back.

If you're interested, I'll dig up the recipe.

mommy053008
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

that is a fantastic idea. So interested!!! 

Quoting StacyO722:

You could have your kids make them Christmas ornaments. I saw a recipe that you make and bake like cookies, then have the children paint them. You can put their names and the year on the back.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Maybe like a mug with cocoa mix?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy053008
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

i did that one year but the packaged ones are expensive 

Quoting .Angelica.:

Maybe like a mug with cocoa mix?

StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Here you go...

What you'll need:

• ½ cup salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • ½ cup water
  • Rolling pin
  • Cookie sheet
  • Toothpick
  • Miniature cookie cutters: star and Christmas tree
  • Acrylic paints: green, yellow, and various colors of your choice for tree ornaments
  • Glitter glue or glitter paint
  • ribbon

How to make it:

1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
  2. Mix together, salt, flour, and water until dough is formed.
  3. Knead the dough on a floured surface until the mixture is elastic and smooth. If dough is too sticky, sprinkle with flour, continue to do so until stickiness is gone. Do not add too much flour, this will dry out the dough and will cause it to crack before you get a chance to bake it.
  4. Roll out the dough to about ¼” thick with a rolling pin that has been dusted with flour.
  5. Use cookie cutters to cut out as many trees and stars as you want.
  6. Use a toothpick to make a hole toward the top of the shape. Poke the toothpick into the shape, then holding toothpick straight up and down, make a circular motion as if you were stirring something. Keep circling until the hole is the size you want.
  7. Place all shapes onto an ungreased cookie sheet and place into the preheated oven.
  8. Bake for 2 hours.
  9. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
  10. Paint the trees green and the stars yellow.
  11. Use the handle end of the paint brush to dot on ornaments by dipping into paint then dotting onto ornament.
  12. When paint is dry, use glitter glue (we used green) or glitter paint (we used gold) to put a sparkling cover coat on your ornaments.
  13. When dry, thread ribbon through hole and tie in a knot in the back.
  14. Tie onto package.

Tips:

• If your toppers are large enough, you can make two holes in each so that you can thread ribbon through like a button, only showing a small amount of ribbon on the front.
  • These make adorable pins to wear to school. Just don’t make a hole. Glue a pin back to the back of the completed ornament instead.
  • Uncooked salt dough doesn’t keep well, so only make enough dough for the ornaments you are going to make. If you are only making a few toppers, halve the ingredients above. The listed amounts will make enough ornaments for a classroom of 20
Quoting mommy053008:

that is a fantastic idea. So interested!!! 

Quoting StacyO722:

mom2maryjoseph
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

We got mugs from the dollar store painted snowment on them with the foam cirle paintbrushes.  I added the details.  I bought a couple boxes of cocoa, cider, and some chocolates and made my own.  This year I'm taking the reusuale cups with the straws and filling with candy.  The teachers can only use that style glass in their rooms so I thought that might be a treat for them.  I've been picking them up on sale.

BramblePatch
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Last year we found pinecones, painted them all over with glue, shook them around in a bag of glitter, and let them dry. We tied ribbon on top and VOILA! Oranaments :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Michaels craft store has Christmas mugs and other cute things for 1$. You could make a cookie in a jar gift too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BostonMomma08
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Last year I did a mixture of some of these ideas! I got Christmas-y mugs at the dollar store as well as some coco mix, and chocolates, then I dipped some spoons in chocolate and added some stuff to them (marshmellows on one, candy cane bits on another, etc), and I put everything in the mug, wrapped it in celophane and then we made salt dough ornaments and Lucas painted them and I painted the teacher's names on them and tied them into the bow and used the ornagemt as a gifttag! All in all the supplies cost me like $15 and we made 3 of them and still had a bunch of stuff left over (I used the ornaments as everyone's gift tags!)

Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

When my Daughter was in preschool, I went to "Michaels" and got mugs that you can draw on.  They were really cheap. I had my Daughter draw a picture on each one and we filled it with candy. They seemed to like it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)