Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with 13 month old

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM
  • 25 Replies
I am trying to get my DD to eat with a spoon, I have tried to let me guide her, but she pulls away. (Or is it too early for this?). I am a first time Mom by the way, so a lot of this is kinda new to me.
Thanks ladies! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM
What's the rush? I wouldn't pressure her. I'd put the spoon within reach and let her explore it as she wants. Especially with stuff like food and the potty, trying to push the issue when the kiddo isn't ready usually backfires. :)
TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Btw, my name is Gina! :)
GinasMommy412
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM
That's what I was thinking too, but my Mom said she should be by now... I wasn't sure lol. I will definitely give that a try.

Quoting TTC2Long:

What's the rush? I wouldn't pressure her. I'd put the spoon within reach and let her explore it as she wants. Especially with stuff like food and the potty, trying to push the issue when the kiddo isn't ready usually backfires. :)
GinasMommy412
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:33 PM
I'm Courtney, I love the name Gina, just a name you don't hear often anymore.

Quoting TTC2Long:

Btw, my name is Gina! :)
Mom2enr
by New Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds is about to be 18 months and just recently let me try to teach him, I would say keep trying every once and a while but don't force her, she'll feel like doing it when she wants. Hope I helped. ;)
TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
In general, but especially with regard to children, the word "should" is a dirty one. Tell your mom she "should" mind her own business. Babies do things at their own pace and at different times. It's totally fine that she's not a spoon pro now. My son wasn't at that age, either. :)

Quoting GinasMommy412:

That's what I was thinking too, but my Mom said she should be by now... I wasn't sure lol. I will definitely give that a try.

Quoting TTC2Long:

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Just give it to her with meals even if she's not interested in using it.  There's no need to guide her or anything, she'll eventually pick it up on her own.  Mine didn't use one much until around 18 months.

GinasMommy412
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I feel so much better now! :-)

Quoting TTC2Long:

In general, but especially with regard to children, the word "should" is a dirty one. Tell your mom she "should" mind her own business. Babies do things at their own pace and at different times. It's totally fine that she's not a spoon pro now. My son wasn't at that age, either. :)

Quoting GinasMommy412:

Quoting TTC2Long:

GinasMommy412
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Most definitely!

Quoting Mom2enr:

My ds is about to be 18 months and just recently let me try to teach him, I would say keep trying every once and a while but don't force her, she'll feel like doing it when she wants. Hope I helped. ;)
GinasMommy412
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Quoting cabrandy03:

Just give it to her with meals even if she's not interested in using it.  There's no need to guide her or anything, she'll eventually pick it up on her own.  Mine didn't use one much until around 18 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)