Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers
I am trying to get my DD to eat with a spoon, I have tried to let me guide her, but she pulls away. (Or is it too early for this?). I am a first time Mom by the way, so a lot of this is kinda new to me.
Thanks ladies! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
junebaby11
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Baby led weaning my dd is 17 months uses forks and spoons hardly even uses hands anymore
PEEK05
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Like others said, just give her the appropriate utensil for her meal and let her explore.  She will figure it out.  I bet by 18 months, she will be mostly using it the way it's supposed to. ;)

Alexsi1
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM
I agree with the other PPs. Mine is just getting the hang of a spoon and he is 22 months old. Just keep putting it in front of her and she will get the hang of it.
mommys2babies
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Let her explore the spoon. I have a 14 month old. When I fix meals I put a fork & spoon at his place. He will sometimes use it & other time not but if you let her explore as she wants she will pick up on using them
GinasMommy412
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Thank you all!
LilyBeansMom
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:45 PM
That sounds really early to me. My 20 month old likes to use utensils, but sometimes she just holds in it the other hand! She sure wasn't bothering with them at 13 months. I would just give them.to her and let her figure it out in her own time.

And I agree with pp - "should" is a horrid word that causes stress, guilt, and anxiety! Ban it from your vocabulary and you'll be a happier woman! ;0)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GinasMommy412
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Words to live by! Thanks :-)

Quoting LilyBeansMom:

That sounds really early to me. My 20 month old likes to use utensils, but sometimes she just holds in it the other hand! She sure wasn't bothering with them at 13 months. I would just give them.to her and let her figure it out in her own time.

And I agree with pp - "should" is a horrid word that causes stress, guilt, and anxiety! Ban it from your vocabulary and you'll be a happier woman! ;0)
msjoecool
by Crissy on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Not at 13 months she shouldn't be. Fine motor skills aren't that strong yet. I totally agree with what Gina said. Make the silverware available with meals. She'll figure it out.

Quoting GinasMommy412:

That's what I was thinking too, but my Mom said she should be by now... I wasn't sure lol. I will definitely give that a try.

Quoting TTC2Long:

What's the rush? I wouldn't pressure her. I'd put the spoon within reach and let her explore it as she wants. Especially with stuff like food and the potty, trying to push the issue when the kiddo isn't ready usually backfires. :)
eevers55
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

My daughter is 18m and we've been giving her a spoon and fork since she started solids at 8m. She still doesn't know how to use them, although she definitely understands the concept. We just let her go at her own pace. She's just now finally starting to get a little more into her mouth without spilling all over herlsef. I'm not really worried about it. Just keep up the good work and let them do it, and don't correct or anything. Just praise when they do it right. And praise when they try. That's the best way. Any push will just make the learning process take longer. That's how we're approaching it. Potty training too lol. We just got a potty and we're not going to worry about the training part til later. DD loves her potty and sits on it, but still isn't ready to go in it. We figure, by the time she's ready, she'll already know where to go and how to sit and everything.

I agree with a PP that "should" is a terrible word. So is comparisons from other moms. Those will probably end up being the kids with stress problems because their parents expect too much, unfortunately.

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Just give it to her and she will figure it out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)