Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers
I am trying to get my DD to eat with a spoon, I have tried to let me guide her, but she pulls away. (Or is it too early for this?). I am a first time Mom by the way, so a lot of this is kinda new to me.
Thanks ladies! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Replies (21-25):
AnGLInterrupted
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't worry about it.  Just put a tarp down under her high chair and let her go to town.  She'll figure it out!  All babies learn and do things at different rates.  Now if she can't hold a spoon when she's 4..  then worry.  ;)

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I don't go by age on what is and isn't too early or right on time. I listen to my children and watch them for signs of readiness. I offered help with spoon and offered for my DS to use a spoon to get food if he refused, then I went with it and fed him.

Our little ones will get it when the time is right for them to get it, not whenever a book or someone else says they should have it down.

mskitty6
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

My youngest turns 13 months on Thanksgiving and she's not feeding herself. Just put an empty spoon next to her while feeding her and let her play with it after a while she'll pick it up and try to feed herself. No need to hurry.

calvinsmommy18
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM

i dont think ds knew how to use a spoon or fork the right way until 2 or 2 1/2. with him as long as he was eating i was happy, since hes such a picky eater. if he wanted to use his hands fine, he eventually got it. sometimes i would have to have 2 spoons out, 1 to feed him and 1 for him to play with.

BlessingsMama
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Just give it to her and let her go at her own pace. But anticipate a mess. My son is now 20 months old and handles both a spoon and fork well. He will still use his fork to get the food and then take it off the fork and eat it with his hands.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN