Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is my almost 4 year old suddenly climbing into bed with me every night?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:41 AM
  • 13 Replies
He's been doing it for a week straight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by Brooke on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:16 AM

If you figure it out let me know b/c my 3 1/2 year old is doing it (and my other two kids did it at this age, as well!). 

Gweneveer
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM

My 5 yr old still does it.  I think they just dont want to be alone.  If you really dont want him in the bed with you, keep putting him back in his own.  

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

My daughter just turned 4yr and she's been doing it for MONTHS!  My hubby works nights, so most nights he is working she will climb in our bed around 2am.  Its so strange!  B/c she won't get out of her bed or wake up when daddy is home.  Most mornings I will put her back in her bed, but some days I just leave her to snuggle with me.  :)  I know it won't last forever so I'm enjoying it while it lasts......

Duquesne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM
You're expecting another, right? Could be that impending change. Maybe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FarmGirl2B
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Baby will be here in 3 months. I wonder if I should try putting my 22 month old in bed with him so he has someone to snuggle. I don't mind that he crawls in bed with me most of the time, but he kicks my belly and I can't sleep when he thrashes around. A crabby pregnant momma is no picnic!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I don't know, sorry. :(

itsm3
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

because you let him.

when he comes to your room, just silently walk him back to his room, tuck him him and leave.  don't engage him.  keep the lights off and the place dark.  you'll have to do this a million times for a few nights but eventually he'll get the picture. 

perrywinkle
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM

My four year old did this for awhile. We let him for a few months and then he didn't even want to fall asleep in his own bed. We started just putting him back and laying down with him. He now sleeps on the couch halfway through the night, but doesn't wake us up. I think it is just an phase they go through around this age and it will pass.

calvinsmommy18
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

is he having nightmares?

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM

4yo's start having more and more of imaginations.  They also start to have nightmares and terrors at this age, because they allow thier imaginations to get the better of them sometimes.  I bet this is what's happeneing.  I'd talk to him and ask him why he's climbing in your bed at night. Sometiems its an easy fix.  Maybe its too dark, too quiet (that's a possibilty) and you can add a fan or some music.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)