Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Just wondering what people's opinions of them are.  I have been considering getting one for my 14month old daughter but I feel like lots of people have a negative view of them.  For me I think it allows her to wander somewhat freely but I know she will stay right near me.  Right now if I let her walk she will just run off - she is not old enough to stay close by.  

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
Gweneveer
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never used one, wouldnt either.  

If you think you need it, go for it.  I was lucky enough that my kids never tried to "run" from me.  

I see no problem with others using them, they just arent for us.  

Necie72
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM
2 moms liked this

To hell with what people think.  I have one for DD.  It's a puppy or a bear...  We've never used it, but I have it just in case.  She took off on me at the zoo once.  I'm not into chasing her, so the harness is a good option for us.  When she saw it, she was actually asking me to put it on her and she walked around the house in it.  I say do what's best for you and your child and forget about what other people have to say.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
They dont bother me. There are far worse things. That said I've never used one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't see a problem with them.
I have one for DD, she picked it out It's a puppy. She wears it around the house all the time. (I take the leash part off.)

I've only used it once when we were going for a nature walk, while DS was taking a homeschool class at the nature center.

I wish I would have had one when DS was little, he was a runner. He would wait untill my head was turned and run for it.( I looked everywhere for them, but couldn't find one)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristina0121
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I understand both oppinions on this and I do think its important for you to do whatever it takes to keep your kids safe.

I wouldn't personally use them, but I've never really had a need to. My kids go everywhere with me. They have since they were born. So my kids know how to behave in public. Only issue I get is the occassional (need) for candy and I say no.. lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cookinmommyof1
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Before I had ds, I thought they were terrible. Then ds learned to walk. Lol. I tried one, but whenever he had it on he would throw a huge shit fit, so we quit using it. If it works, go for it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
signingmama2915
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Honestly, I hate to see them used on kids and I never would. I had one used on me when I was a kid and I was leached to another kid, I hated it. I was leashed to the other kid because I was the anchor, I didn't wander and she did.
Because of this I just can not put my kids in one.
Alexsi1
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM
I have one as a precaution. DS is a wanderer and is fast.
little.worthen
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM
I wouldn't use one just because I don't feel the need to, but I don't think they are bad, unless you're dragging your kid around with it..
cryssi_renee
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM
I have one for my 19 month old. We rarely use it. We go to the zoo a lot. She doesn't want to stay in the stroller the whole time but will run off any chance that she gets.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)