Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just wondering what people's opinions of them are.  I have been considering getting one for my 14month old daughter but I feel like lots of people have a negative view of them.  For me I think it allows her to wander somewhat freely but I know she will stay right near me.  Right now if I let her walk she will just run off - she is not old enough to stay close by.  

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Replies (21-30):
mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM
I use them as extra protection. It kept my oldest from being kidnapped when we were at the zoo, all I got was scrapes from asphault, and a dislocated shoulder. From the man bumping into us grabbing ds and running, roped our hands apart, and dragged me almost 20ft before he gave up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsjksimmons
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Best invention ever! I love the monkey leash we got my son. He is almost 5 and I still use it because he still tries to run off sometimes. Most of the time he's in the cart but when he wants to walk, I whip out the leash and away we go. He doesn't even realize what it is. He calls it his monkey backpack.

Paperfishies
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM
I wouldn't use them, I just hold my runners hand but each parent has to make their own choice.
I think for a lot of parents, a leash becomes a false sense of security when in reality they aren't secure at all, someone could just as easily snatched your kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't like them.. I have 3 kids. Never used one or plan too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I got a monkey backpack harness for DS for Halloween.  He was 16 months old and he was and still is a runner.  He likes to explore.  We never pulled on the harness to get his attention, we just used it as something to keep him within an arms reach.  The harness we had let him get about 5 feet away from us.  

He did very well with it and with it on he got to the point where he knew that he needed to stay near mommy and daddy.  We will use it when we are in crowded places and can't use the stroller.  He is starting to listen better and the harness has really helped keep us from yelling at him and having to carry him all the time.

ONA7DAY
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I don't understand them...

harream
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I love mine, have 2 of them. my girls hold hands when we are walking in a parking lot but it so easy for them to let go so its nice to have a "back up". Love using them in walmart, costco and the mall to!!! Highly recommend them!

Yogamom08
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I used to judge when I saw kids in harnesses, but I have learned that I have no clue what it best for someone else's child. Do what you feel is best for your little one and ignore the haters!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amy1763
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Im all for them. My 14 month isnt walking yet but i might consider it when she does. My 4 yr old goes oovernight camping with daddy and loves it! They go to the gorge and my dh uses a harness for her...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I tried it with DD because she hates sitting in a stroller and would rather walk and it was a great way to give her that independence but keep her close.  If used properly, I don't see the big deal with it.  To each his own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)