Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Baby leashes...

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM
  • 134 Replies
1 mom liked this

Just wondering what people's opinions of them are.  I have been considering getting one for my 14month old daughter but I feel like lots of people have a negative view of them.  For me I think it allows her to wander somewhat freely but I know she will stay right near me.  Right now if I let her walk she will just run off - she is not old enough to stay close by.  

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jstoddard98
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:00 AM

BUMP!

Jstoddard98
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:00 AM

BUMP!

Tree-Tree
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:02 AM
2 moms liked this
I see no problem with them. But she does need to learn to hold hands and stay close so use it as an extra safety precaution but still make her hold your hand and stay close by
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jstoddard98
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Thanks!  I've actually been trying to "hand hold" train her :)  She does ok for really short distances but she is very easily distracted.  If I'm in a store holding her in my arms she fights to get down - if I put her down she is off and running.  I have strollers but she is getting to the age where she knows she can walk around and prefers that.      

Quoting Tree-Tree:

I see no problem with them. But she does need to learn to hold hands and stay close so use it as an extra safety precaution but still make her hold your hand and stay close by

charliebean
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:09 AM
11 moms liked this
KayLea's opinion: if you take away the seat and wheels on a stroller, you have the same straps as a baby harness, so anyone who says they're inhumane yet have no objections to strollers is a moron. The only difference is that a harness (it's not a leash) allows the child to have some independence and explore the world around him, and get exercise, so they're arguably better. Also, as long as it's not harming the child, who cares what a parent does? Harnesses are made to protect children, not demean them.

I guess the question is, would you rather your child run into traffic or be kidnapped in a busy public place because he got away from you, or would you rather take a little flack from some idiot who thinks harnessing your child equals treating them like a dog?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jstoddard98
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  I love your response - and I totally agree!

Quoting charliebean:

KayLea's opinion: if you take away the seat and wheels on a stroller, you have the same straps as a baby harness, so anyone who says they're inhumane yet have no objections to strollers is a moron. The only difference is that a harness (it's not a leash) allows the child to have some independence and explore the world around him, and get exercise, so they're arguably better. Also, as long as it's not harming the child, who cares what a parent does? Harnesses are made to protect children, not demean them.

I guess the question is, would you rather your child run into traffic or be kidnapped in a busy public place because he got away from you, or would you rather take a little flack from some idiot who thinks harnessing your child equals treating them like a dog?

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

They don't bother me at all. The only reason I never got one was because I thought it would become more annoying than helpful.  I pictured them trying to take off and me being yanked all over the place! 

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I used one for my DD when she was younger. It was very helpful and kept her safe, especially while traveling through the airports. Some people had something to say but I just explained that keeping her safe and happy was my priority. I let my girl pick the one she wanted. Now she uses the main part as her backpack.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
superwoman8977
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep we use one, even now as she nears 4 yrs old we have tried the hand holding and it just doesnt seem to work so yep she wears a harness.  It was a lifesaver when we were on vacation last month. 

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I don't like them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)