Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Just wondering what people's opinions of them are.  I have been considering getting one for my 14month old daughter but I feel like lots of people have a negative view of them.  For me I think it allows her to wander somewhat freely but I know she will stay right near me.  Right now if I let her walk she will just run off - she is not old enough to stay close by.  

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Replies (31-40):
Jstoddard98
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Thanks everyone for your input!  I feel better about possibly buying one for my dd.  It wouldn't really be a leash but a way that she can have her independence and I can know that she won't wander off on me - because as we all know, they move fast!

PEEK05
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I've never felt the need for one and have never had the desire to get one.

Ali5683
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM
3 moms liked this

My honest opinion... leashes are for dogs not humans. Parents who put a leash on their kids are lazy. Again, this is my opinion. They look trashy and you look lazy. It's not hard to keep an eye on your kid. It's called responsible parenting. Chase after them. Teach them to stay close. Etc. If you can't keep an eye on your kid then why did you have them?! My son is a runner and wanderer but I do just fine without a leash. I am ok with keeping my eye on him at all times because that is my job. How would you like it if someone put a leash on you? It wouldn't feel so great. I hate the damn things.

Now, that is just my opinion. I respect everyone elses. :)

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean!  My son was running by 9 months old and I was met with teh same predicament.  He wanted to walk everywhere and yet he didn't stay close.....he would run off every time.  Living in teh city, we are too close to the road to let tha happen!

So, we got one :).  We got one of those ones thats a doggy backpack and he LOVED it :).  We let him put some toys in the backpack part :).  It worked really well for us anyway :).

LKRA
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I never needed one with my oldest, and I don't think I'll need one with the youngest.

To each their own.

ambermario4ever
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM

i used them with both of my kids. i recommened using one. children can just get away from you way to fast and these help keep them safe while also letting them be somewhat independent as well. 

Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM

We took the kids to circus circus years ago.  My Daughter was 3 at the time I think. My youngest was in a stroller. I was afraid to let her go off with my Husband because he tends to look up or away from her and she wanders. I found a "leash" at Target. Really cute. It was like a stuffed animal back pack with a harness and "leash" She loved it!  My Husband wrapped it to his wrist and I didn't have to worry. We also used it last year from my little one who was almost 2 when we went to the Christmas tree farm to get our tree. It is so easy to disappear in a place like that. He loved it too. Those are the only two times we used them...it was just a safety issue. Years ago I knew a lady who had triplets and she had them on leashes when she took them into a small store and I thought it was horrible.....now I'm a Mom and kind of understand. I guess because of the opinions of these, I feel like I have to justify myself but I have only used it in the two situations and only because of safety. I don't use it when going to a store or something.  

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM

My opinon is stop wondering or worrying whats others opinons are and do what you feel is best for YOUR family

nodramamama311
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM
What's not to understand? If they are used correctly and for the right reasons then what's the problem? I used one for my son and I didn't just hook him and think stupidly that he was 100% safe. It was so he could walk, still very close to me, but not just up and take off if he got the itch to. That's all it's for. Some kids, no matter how good sometimes get the itch to bolt, and near streets and in crowds that can be so dangerous as you know. I never yanked on my son or treated him badly on it. It was a good thing to have for a short time. I really don't understand why people are so opposed to them.

Quoting ONA7DAY:

I don't understand them...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayDziedzic
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM

For some kids, they're almost a necessity. We've been fortunate not to need them with any of our 3, but one of my (much) younger sisters was one of those kids who needed the leash/harness in some places.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)