Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just wondering what people's opinions of them are.  I have been considering getting one for my 14month old daughter but I feel like lots of people have a negative view of them.  For me I think it allows her to wander somewhat freely but I know she will stay right near me.  Right now if I let her walk she will just run off - she is not old enough to stay close by.  

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Replies (41-50):
careyphotoo
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM
We have one for dd but thankfully have never had to use it. Though if she was the type to run off on us I would put it on her in a heart beat. I would rather her be safe then running off on me. Dd actually thinks its cute to because it has a little dog on it so if she needed to wear it she wouldn't mind it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I was one who used to judge :)  That is, until I had a child for whom they were originally invented LOL!!!  I think you know your child and you make the decision on that information and their safety.  My DD is 3+ and a runner.  Always has been.  She has NO fear of being away from us or not being able to see us.  She would leave with a stranger without thinking twice.  I don't own a backpack/leash but think they are appropriate for some kids.  We are considering going to Disneyland in the Spring and I will bring one with us if we go.  I can't risk her safety...

If you think it would benefit you and your DD then go for it.  Don't worry about what other people think.  EVERYONE has an opinion on everything so just do what's best for you.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM

just out of curiosity, how many kids do you have?  sounds like only 1.  try managing 2 or more on your own in a crazy busy place.  i respect your opinion but unless you have more than 1 child you should be a little more open minded about things you know nothing about.  

it's one thing to voice your opinion about them not being useful or necessary FOR YOU but it's totally different to actually judge and name call when you know nothing about the situation.  now that's just my opinion...

Quoting Ali5683:

My honest opinion... leashes are for dogs not humans. Parents who put a leash on their kids are lazy. Again, this is my opinion. They look trashy and you look lazy. It's not hard to keep an eye on your kid. It's called responsible parenting. Chase after them. Teach them to stay close. Etc. If you can't keep an eye on your kid then why did you have them?! My son is a runner and wanderer but I do just fine without a leash. I am ok with keeping my eye on him at all times because that is my job. How would you like it if someone put a leash on you? It wouldn't feel so great. I hate the damn things.

Now, that is just my opinion. I respect everyone elses. :)

Ali5683
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Well, she asked for opinions so I gave it. I see parents who use them as lazy. Just my opinion. We can agree to disagree. But, thank you for your comment anyway. :)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

just out of curiosity, how many kids do you have?  sounds like only 1.  try managing 2 or more on your own in a crazy busy place.  i respect your opinion but unless you have more than 1 child you should be a little more open minded about things you know nothing about.  

it's one thing to voice your opinion about them not being useful or necessary FOR YOU but it's totally different to actually judge and name call when you know nothing about the situation.  now that's just my opinion...

Quoting Ali5683:

My honest opinion... leashes are for dogs not humans. Parents who put a leash on their kids are lazy. Again, this is my opinion. They look trashy and you look lazy. It's not hard to keep an eye on your kid. It's called responsible parenting. Chase after them. Teach them to stay close. Etc. If you can't keep an eye on your kid then why did you have them?! My son is a runner and wanderer but I do just fine without a leash. I am ok with keeping my eye on him at all times because that is my job. How would you like it if someone put a leash on you? It wouldn't feel so great. I hate the damn things.

OliviaW.
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I have 2. They come in handy when we go out when there's a crowd. I have my kids hold my hands but there are times that I need my hands or they just don't want to hold hands. 

I've had someone bark at me because of them but I put her in her place. The sad thing was this woman's kids were running around while mine were right beside me holding my hands.  

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of those kids have developmental delays and that leash is the one thing that allows some peace of mind to the parent and some freedom to the child in order to have a safe and fun outting?  I'm not commenting on your opinion that they aren't right for YOU but I just think you should reserve judgement about parenting skills and name calling when you know nothing about people's situations...

Quoting Ali5683:

Well, she asked for opinions so I gave it. I see parents who use them as lazy. Just my opinion. We can agree to disagree. But, thank you for your comment anyway. :)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting Ali5683:

Ali5683
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Did I miss something? Original post asked for opinions, right? lol

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of those kids have developmental delays and that leash is the one thing that allows some peace of mind to the parent and some freedom to the child in order to have a safe and fun outting?  I'm not commenting on your opinion that they aren't right for YOU but I just think you should reserve judgement about parenting skills and name calling when you know nothing about people's situations...

Quoting Ali5683:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting Ali5683:

michiganmom5150
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM
I had one. I always held his hand, but like when we were out in an open area, he could go a little farther and still be safe. I see nothing bad pr wrong with it as long as you aren't dragging your kid around by it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IQuitCounting
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM

We used one for my son when he was smaller.  He walked early, 9 months :/, and we felt it was better safe than sorry.  They can get away from you SO quickly and often turn chasing them (or yelling at them to stop) into a game.  I did not care what other people thought so long as my boy was safe.  It gave him a sense of independence without having to worry over him running into traffic, or getting away in a busy crowd (and then getting snatched up or injured).  We stopped using it around 2 I think, once he had a better understanding of what the "MOM" voice is and when I use it to stop and listne!  lol, no joke.

Do what you feel is right, don't let what other people think deter you from trying to keep your kiddo safe :)

babowes
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Nice response

Quoting Jstoddard98:

Thank you!  I love your response - and I totally agree!

Quoting charliebean:

KayLea's opinion: if you take away the seat and wheels on a stroller, you have the same straps as a baby harness, so anyone who says they're inhumane yet have no objections to strollers is a moron. The only difference is that a harness (it's not a leash) allows the child to have some independence and explore the world around him, and get exercise, so they're arguably better. Also, as long as it's not harming the child, who cares what a parent does? Harnesses are made to protect children, not demean them.

I guess the question is, would you rather your child run into traffic or be kidnapped in a busy public place because he got away from you, or would you rather take a little flack from some idiot who thinks harnessing your child equals treating them like a dog?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)