Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

help question for a 28 month old

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM
  • 7 Replies

Quick background on my daughter. She is a former 26 weeker and weighed 2lbs 2oz at birth. 8 week NICU stay and 2 heart surgeries. Still has one rare heart defect.

She is now 28 months and 34lbs. My question/conern. She is very pale, like ghost pale and when she drinks you can see red blochs on face from holding breath because of it. Also she drinks and eats allot. I know all normal for a toddler. But she can down 12oz of whatever you give her in less than 3 minutes. When we eat or go out to eat she cannot have her drink or see it before she eats because it would be gone before she will even touch her food. Also she constantly wants to eat. She will eat all her food and go to someone else that is eating and want some of theirs. Now don't get me wrong I am thrilled with how big she is considering how tiny she was. But it.is very incommon for a preemie her size to be as big as she is already.

Just wondering if any of the other mommas experienced this or if anyone has any opinions. Also she is not anemic she was just checked for it and everything came back fine!

Thanks in advance!!!!

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM

First of all, what an amazing journey that little girl has had.  I'm so happy to hear that she's doing well!

What does the doc say about her coloring?

As for the eating, it could be metabolic.  Have you had her thyroid and such tested?  If all of that is normal then I would say keep a large amount of fresh fruits and veggies and keep them accessible to her.  Let her eat if she thinks she's hungry but make sure it's not carbs or fats.

Another thing to consider is that children can get in the habit of bored eating.  What is her activity level?  Are you guys active together?  Maybe if she has just finished a meal but is still asking for something, take her for a walk or something instead and see if she's still starving. 

Make sure she's getting lots of protein as that will fill her up and keep her full longer as well.

Good luck!

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I would suggest talking to your pediatrician and see what he says about her coloring, eating habits, etc.  I call my kids "walking portion controls" because it doesnt matter if they just ate, they will still want a bite of whatever I am eating too!

Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I don't know about her coloring but my 5 year old eats ALL THE TIME. I also have a 2 1/2 year old that does the same. I think he is about 30 pounds now.  My Daughter eats fruits and vegtables all the time.  Everyone tells me she must have a high metabolism.  She is super skinny and eats non stop. My Daughter is also super pale...but it goes with the red hair :)  Good news that your little ones results came back ok.  Maybe she is like my daughter and will eat all the time. Oh and I read the other post about maybe she is bored....my Daughter does tend to ask for more snacks when she gets bored.  Good Luck!

Gweneveer
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM

bump

funhappymom
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Could she be going through a growth spurt or does she eat like that all the time? I would discuss it with her doctor and see what he says but if it's not a concern, I wouldn't be too worried.

What an amazing story your little girl has :)

.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM

maybe bring up your concerns with her doctor?

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I would discuss your concerns with her doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN